A.C. legg snack stick seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njt124

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I want to do some venison snack sticks and read some people like this seasoning mix. My question is if i purchase this do i need anything else with it when i mix with the venison. Also, should i use beef or pork to cut with the venison? Just looking for a recipe that will work and is easy enough for my first time to try. Thanks

Last edited:
A.C. Leggs snack stick stuff is good...  I use it...  you can add pork or beef...  be sure to trim the fat....  fat will sour in sticks like it does in jerky....

I would add Amesphos because of the low fat content in venison.....

Manufacturer: Ames Company

16 oz. Amesphos, specialty sodium triphosphate blend for meats, seafood and poultry.

AmesPhos improves texture, maintains that fresh-made taste, and reduces bacteria.

Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Due to a unique instantizing process and the combination of short and long chain phosphates, AmesPhos will dissolve completely at temperatures as low as 20 F and in the presence of salt. Additionally, AmesPhos will dissolve completely in hard water and will not cause phosphate precipitation.

Specifications:
Combination of: Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate
Appearance: White granular powder

Advantages:
  • Improved cooked flavor.
  • Reduced loss of meat fluids.
  • Increased tenderness and juiciness
  • Improved firmer texture
  • Better and faster color development
Suggested usage levels:
One third to one half of one percent (0.3 to 0.5%) of the finished product weight.

For home sausage making: Use approximately one fourth to one half teaspoon per pound of meat. Dissolve the phosphate in water before mixing into the meat mixture. Mix into meat until well distributed, mix for approximately five minutes.

Last edited:
Just make sure to use a cure with the seasoning.

Here are meat sticks seasonings I have available with cure designed for 12.5 lb batches. 10 pounds venison to 2 1/2 pounds of pork is what I recommend for meat sticks. These come with full direction/suggestions including venison/pork ratio's.
- Chipotle Wildfire
- Honey BBQ
- Maple Habanero
- Pepperoni
- Seven Pepper
Link to the website is in my signature!

Dave,

Is what you suggested to add a cure, or do you know if the ac Legg comes with cure in it?

Dave,

Is what you suggested to add a cure, or do you know if the ac Legg comes with cure in it?
If you are planning on smoking the sticks, please add cure #1...  1 level tsp. per 5#'s of meat etc...  Add the cure to the seasonings and liquid you plan on adding to the meat..  water is fine...  cola is not fine to add to cure..   thoroughly mix and stuff... 

The Amesphos is for retaining moisture... 

I can't remember BUT I do not believe AC Leggs sends cure with their seasonings....

Dave,

I'm 99% sure none of the Legg's seasonings come with cure in the mix, or have a packet of cure in the bag.  So you will need to buy cure #1 (pink salt, Prauge powder, etc....) but it is very inexpensive.

FLASH >>>>>>   I just received a packet of AC Leggs Jerky seasonings in the mail from AMAZON...... 

............IT HAS A PACKET OF CURE IN IT .....

I am pretty sure the #116 doesn't come with cure. Been awhile since I got some.

Either way I don't use the cure that comes with seasoning.

Mine did not come with a packet of cure....I used Prague 1....it would not be mixed in with the seasoning already and I just doubled it right it would be seperate??

This must be something new from AC. All my bags of 116 do not have cure packets.

Sure hope they are not double cured somehow......

I've ordered the #116 and Traditional Jerky seasoning from Amazon...   Both came with a cure packet...  Probably like most folks, I take the packet of cure from these new arrivals and set them aside..  I use the 1# bag of cure from Spokane Spice or Butcher & Packer....  whichever one is opened is the one I use and keep the closed packs in reserve..   I know my memory is going the way of  the dinosaur but I think I have only purchased 2 Legg seasonings...  and I have 2 Legg packets...   maybe I'm lucky when it comes to getting cure packets....

You purchased this item on July 15, 2015.
Size: Seasons 25 lbs |

[h1]A.C. Legg INC Snack Stick Seasoning (Seasons 25 lbs) [/h1]
Fix for tt- 0059914573 (Not a good practice. Added to accommodate for Pantry brandbyline viewdapter) from A.C. Legg

4.6 out of 5 stars 18 customer reviews

| 4 answered questions

About the Product

• One 18.5 oz. bag Seasons 25 pounds of Snack Stick meat - NO MSG!
  • Includes the proper amount of Sodium Nitrite (Speed Cure)
  • Legg's exclusive high-barrier, multi-wall packaging protects the seasoning's freshness and flavor for at least 12 months
  • Breakdown for less than a 25 lb. batch - 7 Tablespoons of seasoning per 5 lbs. of meat
  • This is the ONLY snack stick seasoning we have ever used here at Ask The Meatman's meat processing plant

Last edited:

Fix for tt- 0059914573 (Not a good practice. Added to accommodate for Pantry brandbyline viewdapter) from A.C. Legg

| 4 answered questions

About the Product

• Legg's exclusive high-barrier, multi-wall packaging protects the seasoning's freshness and flavor for at least 12 months
  • Breakdown for less than a 25 lb. batch - 7 Tablespoons of seasoning per 5 lbs. of meat
  • This is the ONLY snack stick seasoning we have ever used here at Ask The Meatman's meat processing plant
Dave........your memory may be fading but you are still quick on the trigger......you got here first.

I order this #116 from Ask The Meatman........have for a number of years. I get it as a kit.....postage is included in the price. And cure has always come with it.

"IF"  I add anything to the mix, it is "Smitty's" for heat and minced garlic for flavor. But most of the time it is straight from the package.

Hope this helps,

Brad

At least it looks like it comes separate attached to the seasoning it is not premixed.....I also ordered from amazon and it did not have that taped to the outside......just so it is not premixed which I do not see as part of the ingredients...I think I am ok

| 4 answered questions

About the Product

Dave........your memory may be fading but you are still quick on the trigger......you got here first.

I order this #116 from Ask The Meatman........have for a number of years. I get it as a kit.....postage is included in the price. And cure has always come with it.

"IF"  I add anything to the mix, it is "Smitty's" for heat and minced garlic for flavor. But most of the time it is straight from the package.

Hope this helps,

Brad
I may be quick BUT it's usually after I type something that a bell goes off reminding me to verify what I just wrote down....  At this age it's difficult to remember stuff in the correct sequence...   It sure would be easier to get the ducks in a row BEFORE I typed.....  

I like ask the meatman also...  Seems to be very fair to deal with....

At least it looks like it comes separate attached to the seasoning it is not premixed.....I also ordered from amazon and it did not have that taped to the outside......just so it is not premixed which I do not see as part of the ingredients...I think I am ok
I'm gonna say, "It's not mixed"...  almost every reputable site does not recommend premixing cure with seasonings or spices...   There could be some chemical reaction...  the big guy knows seasonings and spices have chemistries that could have an effect on lots of stuff....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky