A busy week smoking (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I was off work the week before Memorial Day. I haven’t smoked a lot lately due to the lousy PA weather we seem to have anymore...so the smoking bug built up inside of me.

Well, the weather was fine and I scratched that itch!

I ended up smoking a few things, so let’s cut to the chase.

Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Smoked, cubed, set the glaze and serve
34BE793B-03AB-4D6B-9D9F-FDAB7C202A54.jpeg

DCC37260-DCA2-477D-9D44-DD64342322DD.jpeg

CF9DF0AD-847A-4888-BEB8-CA3FC2AEC6FD.jpeg

44769733-66D0-427A-9EAD-F1B5F5EFB1AE.jpeg

Spatchcock Chicken with Alabama White Sauce

My wife and I had the breast for supper, with Alabama White Sauce and cucumber/tomato salad. The left over thighs were turned into chicken salad for lunches.
612A3A52-3429-44FD-A0B1-F9ED8AEE1311.jpeg

28E8D9DA-DD43-419D-8831-F6FC6428C627.jpeg
4489CA9E-429C-438D-AD28-3C23E0B50AD8.jpeg

Reverse Seared Tri Tip

I decided to try the Hardcore Carnivore Black Rub. The Tri Tip came out good...but boy was this rub Salty!!! I think I’m going to add 1 part black pepper to this rub to reduce the amount of salt covering the meat while keeping the “black” rub to the meat.

The activated charcoal provides no taste, it’s just gimmicky, but it does provide a nice contrast to the meat.

Rubbed
A71BB735-F321-4DE8-A8F3-B964318DEDA1.jpeg

After the sear
97C7F6F6-885A-4D37-96C4-0F587789F67A.jpeg

Sliced and served
4DC0B4A4-F2B1-4F91-B4D4-DFE3B7C445AD.jpeg
769D1213-216A-4F68-8C6D-BC1C3D401110.jpeg

I still have a turkey roast to smoke. I’m gonna save that for tomorrow.

Thanks for lookin’

Looks awesome! Big like! Did you do the Chuck Roast Burnt Ends in the same manner as belly burnt ends? That really has my interest.

Looks awesome! Big like! Did you do the Chuck Roast Burnt Ends in the same manner as belly burnt ends? That really has my interest.

Thanks for the like Steve!

I loosely followed one of Jeff’s chuckie burnt end recipes in his newsletter.

What I did was made slits in the roast and then rubbed with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and a mix of ancho/pasilla chili powders...and then soaked in Worcestershire sauce overnight.

Then I smoked the chuckie to 190IT. Once it hit that temperature, I cubed the roast and threw it in a disposable pan.

Next I added 3 tablespoons of the aforementioned rub along with Texas style Heinz bbq sauce. I used just over half a bottle until the burnt ends were well coated and sloppy....then thew them back in the smoker until the sauce cooked down and created a sticky glaze on the meat. This took 1.5 hours at 275-300 degrees.

I have never done pork belly ends. I would like to try them but bellies are pricey here.

What I did was made slits in the roast and then rubbed with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and a mix of ancho/pasilla chili powders...and then soaked in Worcestershire sauce overnight.

Then I smoked the chuckie to 190IT. Once it hit that temperature, I cubed the roast and threw it in a disposable pan.

Next I added 3 tablespoons of the aforementioned rub along with Texas style Heinz bbq sauce. I used just over half a bottle until the burnt ends were well coated and sloppy....then thew them back in the smoker until the sauce cooked down and created a sticky glaze on the meat. This took 1.5 hours at 275-300 degrees.

I have never done pork belly ends. I would like to try them but bellies are pricey here.

Thanks for the recipe. I have a chuck roast in the freezer that will be used for this. Hopefully, next weekend.

Reactions: xray

Sounds great. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Nice!! Extra points on the white sauce!!

Thanks jcam! First time having it and I enjoyed it. I used the Bob Gibson recipe that chile posted. I added more black pepper.

There’s quite a bit left, I’m gonna head to the store in a bit and buy the pre mix shredded coleslaw and add the rest of the sauce...that and some jalapeño cheddar sausage will be my dinner...hmm sounds good!

Everything looks so delicious Xray. Great job on everything. I give you two big thumbs up.

G

Thanks George! I remember you came along for the ride on my first tri tip.

I ended up talking to a butcher and they special ordered a case for me. It was 6$ a lb, so I have a small stock now!!

Currently beats the $13.49lb the local grocer is carrying them for...They’re out of their damn minds!!!

The Tri tip is something I haven’t done before...yours looks really good. Showed the pictures to the wifey...waiting for her decision

Like!

DAMN! My market has been selling some awesomely marbled Tri Tip for $2.99 a pound lately. I have two in the freezer right now. It’s such a great cut of beef. I love to pair mine with a baked potato and some broccoli.

G

DAMN! My market has been selling some awesomely marbled Tri Tip for $2.99 a pound lately. I have two in the freezer right now. It’s such a great cut of beef. I love to pair mine with a baked potato and some broccoli.

G
If I found'em that inexpensive I'd put a couple dozen in the freezer.

My you have been a busy boy lately. All it all looks wonderful. Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Yummmmmy!
I take a tasting plate of all three, pretty please.
Like!

Thanks Chile and for the like. There’s always room at my table...hell, when I made the tri tip I packed up the smoker and took it to my brother’s house in NJ.

Have smoker, will travel.

My you have been a busy boy lately. All it all looks wonderful. Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris and for the point!

Yeah it’s definitely been busy and time flew by. Sucks I go back to work tomorrow....”If only lunch would last forever.”

I was off work the week before Memorial Day. I haven’t smoked a lot lately due to the lousy PA weather we seem to have anymore...so the smoking bug built up inside of me.

Well, the weather was fine and I scratched that itch!

I ended up smoking a few things, so let’s cut to the chase.

Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Smoked, cubed, set the glaze and serve
View attachment 396422
View attachment 396423
View attachment 396424
View attachment 396425

Spatchcock Chicken with Alabama White Sauce

My wife and I had the breast for supper, with Alabama White Sauce and cucumber/tomato salad. The left over thighs were turned into chicken salad for lunches.
View attachment 396426
View attachment 396427 View attachment 396428

Reverse Seared Tri Tip

I decided to try the Hardcore Carnivore Black Rub. The Tri Tip came out good...but boy was this rub Salty!!! I think I’m going to add 1 part black pepper to this rub to reduce the amount of salt covering the meat while keeping the “black” rub to the meat.

The activated charcoal provides no taste, it’s just gimmicky, but it does provide a nice contrast to the meat.

Rubbed
View attachment 396429

After the sear
View attachment 396430

Sliced and served
View attachment 396431 View attachment 396432

I still have a turkey roast to smoke. I’m gonna save that for tomorrow.

Thanks for lookin’

Everything looks awesome. What part of PA? I’m near Allentown.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky