9lb Butt on Pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shipwama

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Well some of my girlfriends friends asked me to smoke some delicious stuff for them.
Picked up a 9lb Butt. Got it all rubbed and will toss on the GMG Pellet smoker at around 2AM hope to eat at 6pm(tell me is i meed to go earlier)
Can't wait

Attachments

• 20180511_194131.jpg
    20180511_194131.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: SonnyE
That should be perfect.. mine usually get done in about 13-14 hours and a couple of extra hours to let it sit and marinate in a cooler or cambro don't hurt a dang thang.;)

Reactions: BKING!
Sounds like a great plan Jeff gave you a good idea about cooktime. Butts are forgiving and warm up really well. B

When my late wife was my girl friend ( long time ago ) her girl friends used to eat / hang out at my house . Next thing I knew , I had 2 kids and a big house payment ,,,,,,

When my late wife was my girl friend ( long time ago ) her girl friends used to eat / hang out at my house . Next thing I knew , I had 2 kids and a big house payment ,,,,,,

I think that's a different kind of cookin butt, chopsaw. LOL!:D

I can't live alone. I need somebody to tell me I'm wrong all the time.... :confused:o_O

Well some of my girlfriends friends asked me to smoke some delicious stuff for them.
Picked up a 9lb Butt. Got it all rubbed and will toss on the GMG Pellet smoker at around 2AM hope to eat at 6pm(tell me is i meed to go earlier)
Can't wait
Sounds pretty close on cook time. They take longer on my GMG than they do in the stick burners as they like to run around 260-280°. You can speed it up a bit if needed by foiling it at the stall. I add a cup or so of apple juice, then reserved the liquid, separate the fat and add a bit of it to the shredded pork for more flavor. Good luck, and don't forget the Q view!

Well I managed to get up and have the smoker ready at about 145 and I'm it went. Here is a current shot - I opened to insert the temp probe

Attachments

• 20180512_064659.jpg
    20180512_064659.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: SonnyE
Looks like this one had little to no stall. Sitting at 171 already. Only been at 215 220 the whole time.
Going to be an exercise in keeping it warm

If it gets done early, which can happen from time to time, just wrap in foil and put it in a empty cooler or cambro with towels, newspaper, pillows, etc. around it to fill in the empty space and it will stay piping hot for 4 hours or better. Seems like it's even better when this happens.

If it gets done early, which can happen from time to time, just wrap in foil and put it in a empty cooler or cambro with towels, newspaper, pillows, etc. around it to fill in the empty space and it will stay piping hot for 4 hours or better. Seems like it's even better when this happens.

Yep that was my plan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky