$800+/- Budget

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The_Grillfather

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I need recommendations please.

So after going through my 2nd MES, I think it's time for something semi-pro. So I'm saying that my budget is $800, but if there's some sort of all-inclusive package, I could go higher. So, I need brands, models, reasons, and links. The more tech savvy the better. My personal choice if I could swing it right now would be the Rec Tec Stampede, but Christmas is coming and I probably should get the wife and offspring gifts, lol.

So to narrow it down are you settled in on a pellet grill or open to cabinet style? Settled on pellets or open to other fuel sources? Lastly set on new or open for used (no I’m not selling :) ) This may help guide suggestions.

Definitely new, as I don't want someone else's problem; when they're good they're keepers, no?

I could do another cabinet, but I would like to get the Weber off the patio. I know pellets are cheaper than pucks, and some of the reviews on the Bradley Smart smoker were bad.

I know Traeger "was" good, but from reviews it seems quality and longevity have gone down but not the price.

Wood-fired pizza would be a nice plus though, and while I have made pizza in my MES, the addition of a sear box or sear plates would also be nice.

Wish I had a blog or something so a manufacturer would send me one. Lol

I chose to go used when I moved to a different unit than the MES40. For me I decided I could get more bang for my buck. Often people sell used as they are moving up in size or quality, not just to dump a problem. You can find some pretty nice insulated charcoal cabinets for around $1000 if you are patient. I am blown away by how easy they are to cook with. The 270 smoker I picked up used will hold temps from 225F to 350F for many hours after lighting with no messing with coals. I love my MES but I am sold on my insulated cabinet now. Just offering some points to ponder :)

Last edited:
I've done a fair bit of research online and have gone with the Louisiana LG900.
Should say that here in NZ we don't have the selection you have in North America but we do have cheaper and more expensive.
My reasons for going with the LG900 are good construction, high temp capacity including the ability to direct sear over flame and price point.
Would have liked to go with a Yoder but there more than double the price of the LG900.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers Pete

I should also add, that I cook/grill year round and I live in Wisconsin, where currently it is 27° but 13° with wind-chill

I should also add, that I cook/grill year round and I live in Wisconsin, where currently it is 27° but 13° with wind-chill
Based on that I’d bet if you research insulated vertical smokers you might find what you want. Many have inch thick insulated walls right up your ally for temps. By the way I’m an Ohioan but headed to Glendale WI on business again tomorrow. Will have to grab some cheese as usual at Mars Cheese Castle.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm a buyer and we source our beef snacks and jerky from Ohio. Gold Rush. All I know is guys in the automotive world love it. I'll have to use the old Google and look at insulated types. I didn't know they existed outside of being custom built.

Thanks. I definitely like the Rec Tec, but would have to be the Stampede for me. The extra cooking area doesn't seem to be worth the premium additional expense between the two. I like the GMG stainless wi-fi David Bowie, as lots of features/bang for the buck, and the fact that they offer the insulated cover for the lid is nice. I'll check pitboss out too. Lookin at grills has been like the last 2-3 hours.

Don sounds like a good plan. I wasn't sure of the size you wanted. I know that If I was in your budget id be looking at the Green mountain and poss a Louisiana https://amzn.to/2DZIjwR.

I do like the pitboss but its the step down from Louisiana. Also The company that owns pitboss also owns louisiana.

I would offer up a suggestion of an ugly drum. The do very well year round in different climates. Build it yourself for $200-$300 and its an EASY process or pay someone $450-$500 to have one finished for you.

Insulated cabinets would also be a HUGE PLUS up there. Getting one new for your price is a little rough though. Chubby 3400 isn't that big on capacity.

I've owned MES, GMG Pellet grills, Backwoods cabinets, and Drums. The drums are my individual favorites out of all of them for ease of use and flavor profile. If you can find a cabinet in your range, that's a VERY CLOSE 2nd in my book. Pellet grills just never quite got it done for me.

So why are you looking for another Smoker ? did your MES die ? are the not built to last ?

Well, with your budget and weather conditions I would go with the Weber WSM for smoking and a Kettle for grilling/smoking. I live in Vt. and have no issues using it year round. They are also used on the pro-circuit. They aren't very tech savoy, but they also don't have any parts that will break down during a cook.

Chris

DP, A great insulated electric smoker is the PK Pro 50 or 100. Great sausage smoker as the temp goes down to 60,downside is it only goes up to 250. Mine is four years old and I use it all winter in northern NH

So why are you looking for another Smoker ? did your MES die ? are the not built to last ?
Yes, it died. Thanksgiving morning, got up early to turn on, went out an hour later and was at zero on the door thermometer. Outdoor outlet worked fine, and the light on the controller was lit up orange as usual, but nothing. Odd too because I just used it the night before to smoke salmon as an appetizer. Ruined my whole day. The next day it was down by the curb and listed on CL for free scrap. That one only made it two years too. They should be made to withstand the elements, but apparently not.

So, you think it is from being stored outside or MES just can not handle the use ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky