80 gallon reverse flow build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghoster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, I'm building an 80 gallon reverse flow offset.

I'm using 1/4 inch steel pipe with a 24 inch diameter, which I picked up. I've used the calculator on this site to give me the measurements I needed, which was great.

Cook chamber length 43 inches
Firebox, also 24 inch pipe has a length of 15.8 inches which gives me a volume about 10% more then the recommended for the cc volume (luckily) as it was an off cut.

Segment calculator gave me a segment height of 3.5 inches. I used a figure of 3.8 inches to give me better flow, putting the rf plate at 7.6 inches from the bottom.

First shelf is at the middle of the cook chamber, so just over 4 inches from the RF plate.

Second shelf is 4.5 inches up from the first shelf.

For the chimney, I'm using pipe with in internal diameter of 4.1 inches, extending 35 inches above the cook chamber. I'm not planning on using a plenum. I am planning on cutting the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle and welding it to make a right angle. I will then weld this to the end of the cook chamber.

Now the question I have, that I am hoping for some help with, is at what height should i place the exhaust.

From what I can see, I would have thought it should be at the height of the lower shelf. But before I cut into the end of the cook chamber, I would like to confirm.

Your help would be very much appreciated. I have learnt an enormous amount about smoker builds from this forum, enough to understand the basics and keep me very enthused.

I've attached some pics of my progress so far. Its been a slow journey, as its been my first time working with metal. Learning how to weld has been great. What would we do without youtube!

1/4 inch steel sheet cut to make the legs. 1/4 steel sheet bent to make the rf plate. I was pretty pleased with the bend.

Need to finish welding the fb, and the end of the cc which are only tacked on, then cut the drain, shelfs, etc. Door also needs to be straightened out, so still a way to go, but I'll post pics as I go.

Attachments

• 20171216_174053_1.jpg
    20171216_174053_1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20171217_173827.jpg
    20171217_173827.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 200
  • 20171223_182012_1.jpg
    20171223_182012_1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20171228_145428.jpg
    20171228_145428.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 205
  • 20180106_104539.jpg
    20180106_104539.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20180128_200552.jpg
    20180128_200552.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20180128_202833.jpg
    20180128_202833.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180225_141148.jpg
    20180225_141148.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 20180225_164951.jpg
    20180225_164951.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180225_165154.jpg
    20180225_165154.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 211
IMO, placing the entrance of the exhaust stack between the 2 cooking grates "should' give the best air/smoke flow for the grub.... Others have noted a stagnant smoke layer in the top of the CC giving poor tasting food...
That being said, my interpretation of this condition is due to poor air flow through the CC....
That condition can be overcome using the 2 air inlets to the FB.... Increasing the air flow by opening up the upper air inlet and adjust the heat by opening the lower air inlet.. It 's a balancing act... Good air flow for great tasting food and proper heat for perfect cooking temperatures...
Fresh air supplied by the upper air inlet also "should" help consume tars and creosotes.... Folks that have "mastered" control of the FB inlets have reported good results... even temperatures, lower fuel usage, great tasting food...

I agree with what dave said, in between the 2 shelves/ in the middle of the smoker. Now granted i havent built one myself (planning on doing one soon) but when i talk to people who do make them for a living, that make quality pits, say the same thing.

I built a very similar smoker to yours last year and I placed my exhaust on the top of the CC. I havent noticed any difference in the taste of stuff on the top shelf vs the bottom but I can certainly understand the logic behind putting it in between the shelves. Important to remember to have the exhaust the same cu. in. as the throat to make sure there isnt a buildup in the CC.

IMO, placing the entrance of the exhaust stack between the 2 cooking grates "should' give the best air/smoke flow for the grub.... Others have noted a stagnant smoke layer in the top of the CC giving poor tasting food...
That being said, my interpretation of this condition is due to poor air flow through the CC....
That condition can be overcome using the 2 air inlets to the FB.... Increasing the air flow by opening up the upper air inlet and adjust the heat by opening the lower air inlet.. It 's a balancing act... Good air flow for great tasting food and proper heat for perfect cooking temperatures...
Fresh air supplied by the upper air inlet also "should" help consume tars and creosotes.... Folks that have "mastered" control of the FB inlets have reported good results... even temperatures, lower fuel usage, great tasting food...

Thanks Dave. Makes sense putting the exhaust in the clear space between the two grates. I've read a number of your posts about using two air inlets and have designed for that. Will post pics when I cut them out.

I agree with what dave said, in between the 2 shelves/ in the middle of the smoker. Now granted i havent built one myself (planning on doing one soon) but when i talk to people who do make them for a living, that make quality pits, say the same thing.

Thanks Sam. Hope you're not far off starting your build.

I built a very similar smoker to yours last year and I placed my exhaust on the top of the CC. I havent noticed any difference in the taste of stuff on the top shelf vs the bottom but I can certainly understand the logic behind putting it in between the shelves. Important to remember to have the exhaust the same cu. in. as the throat to make sure there isnt a buildup in the CC.

Yes absolutely right. Spending time reading through the posts before starting the build, I realised the airflow is the key to these smokers for clean smoke flavour and even temps.

Looking good ghoster!
Is your RF plate atilt toward the FB?

Thanks Motocrash. The RF plate should be pretty close to level. Its probably the light. With the bend in the plate the fat will run to the centre. Drain will be at the other end. will test it and if its slightly falling away at one end I'll make some shims out of plate offcuts and put them between the bbq base and the base of the castors.

Ghoster,
I had a smoker built this past year and I went traditional side firebox.
I did want the smokestack at grate level for that exact airflow issue. Heat rises and with two levels of racks wanted heat and smoke to get everywhere. Thus smoke exhaust is at bottom grate level.
Dave won’t lead you wrong.

Ghoster,
I had a smoker built this past year and I went traditional side firebox.
I did want the smokestack at grate level for that exact airflow issue. Heat rises and with two levels of racks wanted heat and smoke to get everywhere. Thus smoke exhaust is at bottom grate level.
Dave won’t lead you wrong.

Thanks j

I don't know how far along you are......

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg .. Smoker exh and int 3 Ahumadora.jpg ...

2 air inlet designs... The upper air inlet adds oxygen to the hot gasses and "helps to burn/consume the creosote" before it gets to the food... AND... moves the hot air, while cooling it, into the CC.... It's a really good system and takes a bit of getting used to...

I don't know how far along you are......

View attachment 359101 ..View attachment 359102 ...

2 air inlet designs... The upper air inlet adds oxygen to the hot gasses and "helps to burn/consume the creosote" before it gets to the food... AND... moves the hot air, while cooling it, into the CC.... It's a really good system and takes a bit of getting used to...

Hi Dave,

I've been reviewing the forum, and have seen the advise you've posted. Makes a lot of sense. Have already planned for it. FB face has been cut out, with a 10in bottom vent and a 5 inch top one.

Attachments

• 20180401_102621.jpg
    20180401_102621.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 175
The lower air inlet..... may need to plug off the top half of the pie shape... Ski Freak did that to get air flow only to the fire... used the upper 1/2 for air flow, like the upper air inlet... BUT, as you probably noticed, his pie vent filled the entire door....

Ski Freak air inlet.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky