#8 LEM Dual Grind Big Bite Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roadkill cafe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
South Florida
I’m looking at getting this grinder but I’m not familiar with this model. Has anyone heard, seen or know anything about it? What are your thoughts? I’m pretty much a noob but don’t want to do as I’ve done with other things and start low and keep having to upgrade.

In case the link doesn’t work:
6B915E05-DD88-4EA7-8D8E-90F557D90DB6.png

There was another fellow looking at this same grinder back in May but I don't know if he ever purchased it. The reviews on the LEM site are positive so it may be all that they say it is.

Reactions: roadkill cafe
I went from a grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer to a Cabela's 1 hp #22 grinder and never looked back, kept it and a Northern Tool 15 lb stuffer for over 10 years, then passed it on to my sons- and it is still going great! If you buy quality once, you are never ever sorry!

I went from a grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer to a Cabela's 1 hp #22 grinder and never looked back, kept it and a Northern Tool 15 lb stuffer for over 10 years, then passed it on to my sons- and it is still going great! If you buy quality once, you are never ever sorry!
I agree, Pops.

That looks like a work horse of a grinder. A couple of friends that are serious hunters have LEM grinders and speak highly of them. I know a lot of people double grind, some using the same plate twice, others sizing down one plate.... but if this grinder is always in double grind mode, you might limit yourself to custom grinds. What will your usage primarily be targeted for? Or are you buying this for a commercial operation?

I grind beef and pork in amounts from 10# to 30# and use various plate options. I can grind very fine for hot dogs (single or double pass) or a very coarse single pass grind for red or green chili or something like goulash. In between, I can pick a specific grind whether I'm making cased or bulk sausage , taco meat or just hamburger or pork burger. I generally grind chicken coarse to X-coarse and for some sausage recipes I'll size down the pork I mix in to the chicken.
fu7oaJq.jpg
Here is an example of a single pass through my X-coarse and XX-coarse plates.
uc0pxlJ.jpg

That looks like a work horse of a grinder. A couple of friends that are serious hunters have LEM grinders and speak highly of them. I know a lot of people double grind, some using the same plate twice, others sizing down one plate.... but if this grinder is always in double grind mode, you might limit yourself to custom grinds. What will your usage primarily be targeted for? Or are you buying this for a commercial operation?

I grind beef and pork in amounts from 10# to 30# and use various plate options. I can grind very fine for hot dogs (single or double pass) or a very coarse single pass grind for red or green chili or something like goulash. In between, I can pick a specific grind whether I'm making cased or bulk sausage , taco meat or just hamburger or pork burger. I generally grind chicken coarse to X-coarse and for some sausage recipes I'll size down the pork I mix in to the chicken.
View attachment 458660
View attachment 458661
Lem still sells the standard single grind models. The double grind auger and head assemble and plates are available as a seperate option if one already has the grinder or wants to dig deep into their pockets and have the option. The dual grind fits the #'s 8, 12, and 22 grinders.

View attachment 458660
View attachment 458661
Thanks for the info. I’ll be using at home for burgers, wild game, pork, seperate stuffer for sausages.

Lem still sells the standard single grind models. The double grind auger and head assemble and plates are available as a seperate option if one already has the grinder or wants to dig deep into their pockets and have the option. The dual grind fits the #'s 8, 12, and 22 grinders.
So, could I use a course grind plate for first grind and change the second grind plate if I wanted a finer grind? Like for instance if I was doing a batch of venison and some was being done for burgers and some for sausages?

So, could I use a course grind plate for first grind and change the second grind plate if I wanted a finer grind? Like for instance if I was doing a batch of venison and some was being done for burgers and some for sausages?

I have the standard Big Bit #8. Very nice machine, not much to not like.
As far as the dual grind head, the stuffer plate is used for the first grind, and only the stuffer plate can be used in that position. The second plate can be changed at any time. Personally I’ve had no problem grinding with the 1/8” plate in one pass as long as you cut the meat up in 1” or so sized pieces, and I see no need to grind twice with this machine. This grinder produces a premium grind. I just select the final grind plate to start with, par-freeze the meat and grind.

Well, I pulled the trigger. Grinder, stuffer, lugs, casings and seasonings should arrive Friday. When I called them with a couple questions, I also asked about any available discount codes. I was advised that currently there were none. When ordering online I tried one I had seen and it went through for 15% off and saved $115. Just my luck, Boston Butt sale was last weekend at .99/lb. And so the adventure begins. 😁

Reactions: SmokinEdge
i'm with ya. i had the stx turbo force 2. last nite i had all my spices mixed for the hebrow beef dogs and ready for small grind and blaaa just quit so pack it up send it back today went to scheels got the lem 8 and man this is heavy duty weighs 2.5 times as much and now ill get er done.

i'm with ya. i had the stx turbo force 2. last nite i had all my spices mixed for the hebrow beef dogs and ready for small grind and blaaa just quit so pack it up send it back today went to scheels got the lem 8 and man this is heavy duty weighs 2.5 times as much and now ill get er done.
Well that just sux. I like this LEM so far. When I received mine I discovered they sent me the wrong one. I ordered the #8 Dual Grind and they sent a #12 Single. Took almost a week to get a RMA tag and get it on its way back to them. Kinda killed my excitement. Customer Service sounded like “oh well, sorry” . Wouldn’t even toss in a couple packs of seasoning for my time and troubles. I will say they were good with getting the correct one out as soon as they saw the return was on its way back.

Bubble bursting time: They have a double grind accessory for the #12.
I saw that and trust me, don’t think I didn’t think real hard about keeping the 12 and getting the DG attachment for $150 plus shipping more. But, it would have been overkill for as much as I’ll use it not to mention my limited space for storage. Currently the grinder, stuffer and lugs reside in their boxes on top of the china cabinet. The #8 is heavy enough putting up there.

Glad to see your on your way to a new addiction... Sorry I've cost you so much money from bringing my equipment to the Gathering and getting you hooked.. LOL ...

I'd like to see/use the grinder at the Gathering if your coming this year ??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky