72 oz. of jerky packaged and ready to go.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
24 - 3 oz. shrink-wrapped packages are in the deep freeze. All were made with beef, eye-of-round...my fave jerky meat.

I like the www.OwensBBQ.com jerky seasonings a lot. I especially like the original, hickory and mesquite as a base marinade/seasoning that I jazz up with garlic, garlic-pepper, chipotle, Dave's Insanity Sauce, etc. To "jazz things up" only takes about 1 or 2 tablespoons of extra seasoning added to the flavor packs.

Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce (DUIS) only takes about a teaspoon to a tablespoon added to the flavor packet to make BYFO (burn your face off) jerky. DUIS brings on the heat without a strong pepper flavor.

IMG_0360.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 36
I’ve been curious about freezing jerky. Does the texture remain intact?

I was thinking the same thing. On my last batch my wife placed most of it in the fridge and it rehidrated the jerky into loose beef. She meant well but it soon got moldy and it had to be tossed out.

Freezing it might be different but the main point of making jerky is to make it so it can stay dried out indefinitely.

That looks tasty! I don't think I need any burn your face off jerky but my son in law would love it!

We vac seal and freeze jerky all the time as well and have no issues. Usually start out with 4 to 5 lbs of meat.

Ryan

That looks tasty! I don't think I need any burn your face off jerky but my son in law would love it!

We vac seal and freeze jerky all the time as well and have no issues. Usually start out with 4 to 5 lbs of meat.

Ryan
Hey Brokenhandle Brokenhandle do you mind sharing a link to your jerky thread or a recipe? I’m looking for a recipe that isn’t extremely spicy. Sorry I’m not to good with the search function. Thanks.

Oh man...That would maybe get me through a long weekend. I'm like a junkie when it comes to jerky. I cant stay out of it!!!

Jim

Reactions: uncle eddie
Hey Brokenhandle Brokenhandle do you mind sharing a link to your jerky thread or a recipe? I’m looking for a recipe that isn’t extremely spicy. Sorry I’m not to good with the search function. Thanks.
I don't think I've ever posted a thread on it. I can post the recipe here if Eddie doesn't mind.

Ryan

On my last batch my wife placed most of it in the fridge and it rehidrated the jerky into loose beef.
She meant well but it soon got moldy and it had to be tossed out.
Do you add Cure #1 to your marinade?
That greatly extends the shelf life.

Wow that looks amazing. How much meat did you start out with and how did you dry it? Smoker, dehydrator ,
Oven or old school in a screened box in sun?

24 - 3 oz. shrink-wrapped packages are in the deep freeze. All were made with beef, eye-of-round...my fave jerky meat.

I like the www.OwensBBQ.com jerky seasonings a lot. I especially like the original, hickory and mesquite as a base marinade/seasoning that I jazz up with garlic, garlic-pepper, chipotle, Dave's Insanity Sauce, etc. To "jazz things up" only takes about 1 or 2 tablespoons of extra seasoning added to the flavor packs.

Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce (DUIS) only takes about a teaspoon to a tablespoon added to the flavor packet to make BYFO (burn your face off) jerky. DUIS brings on the heat without a strong pepper flavor.

View attachment 666938
well thanks for posting. I just ordered enough to season 20 pounds raw. Different flavors.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Do you add Cure #1 to your marinade?
That greatly extends the shelf life.

Not for this recipe. I usually keep it in an air tight container and it remains fine for a couple weeks. My wife was cleaning up the kitchen and decided to place it in the refrigerator and moved what was left to a plastic bag. I pulled it out a couple days later and it had gone limp.

Wow that looks amazing. How much meat did you start out with and how did you dry it? Smoker, dehydrator ,
Oven or old school in a screened box in sun?
flatbroke flatbroke The eye of rounds I buy are normally around 4 +/- pounds. Lose a little bit to trimming off the excess fat...maybe 1/4 to 1/3 pound. I use a forced air dehydrator with variable temperature set points and a timer.

Oh yeah!

Blair's Ultra Death is another great one for that purpose.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky