60 gallon propane tank Smoker with a 25 gallon propane tank firebox. Reverse flow hopefully

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

getvrtcl

Original poster
May 27, 2014
Coumostan (NY)
I started out with just the 60 gal tank and made a vertical smoker.  BUT I ended up with poor tasting food, a lot of soot, and going through 30 pounds of propane for 2 smoking sessions of ribs.  So I decided to turn the 60 horizontal. and ad a 25 gallon as the firebox.  For the time being I think I will just make it a wood/charcoal  smoker for this summer.  I have used the calculators here and if they are correct, 30 inches of the 25 gallon cyl. will be plenty of firebox.  Not sure how this will turn out, but I am hopeful it will work.

If anyone has any ideas about this build feel free to comment.  I have not seen anyone use 2 propane tanks yet so I am a little leery of how it will turn out after all this work.

Thank you.

Thanks Dave.  I plan on using about 34 inches of the 25 gallon tank.  It has already been cut to make a door.  The size of the hole between the tanks I have not measured yet, I was thinking about opening up as much as is possible and putting a damper between the two. Getting the 2 tanks to matchup have been a pain to say the least, but we are almost there.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky