6 LB Peking Duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
This will be my second duck I have smoked. While it is a decent amount of work, the amount of duck fat you get makes it worth it in my opinion. Was $22.39 for a 5.98lb Duck so $3.74 a lb. The plan is to smoke the duck, save all the fat and make duck broth from the bones.

Defrosted frozen duck for 3 days. I put it into a brine of kosher salt, buttermilk, and water where it will sit for about three to four hours. Plan to spatchcock, rub with dijon mustard and season with jeff's rub. smoke as hot as possible in the MES 30 and finish on the grill. More pics to follow.

My only question is I have seen people like to cross cut parts of the breast to make more fat fall out while others leave the bird as is. Between the brine and fat content, i dont think it is possible to dry out the duck. Anyone have any input as I cannot remember what i did last time.

IMG_9644.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw and jcam222
I enjoyed this thread:

Was happy the duck was about 10 times easier to flatten than Turkey for thanksgiving was. Ended up being in the brine for about 4.5 hours. Washed the duck off, rubbed with dijon, and seasoned with jeffs. Went in at 5pm with amazen pitmaster choice pellets in a small tube. Hoping to be eating for MNF (Go Browns!!). Will probe around an hour into the smoke.

thru the neck, neck skin i removed and neckbone on the rack above to self baste.

Read "Spun a duck" earlier this week and was sad he didnt think it was worth it. I just want all the duck fat possible for potatoes.

IMG_9649.jpg

Following for results. Looking good so far. I plan on doing a duck sooner or later for sure. Based on the cost of duck fat saving some from your cook certainly offsets much of the up front cost.

Got to 150 in about 4.5 hours. Put into the oven at 500 for 10 mins. It was too cold to grill. Rest for 20

good flavor, markings and moist. 10oz of duck fat so far and expect I’ll net 12. Had w green beans and cauliflower rice.

as smoking Al mentioned, it is a lot of work for little meat and lots of skin. Honestly I am not sure I would do again.

poultry skin is the downfall of a MES in my opinion.

Attachments

• 13A56C9F-17CC-49C9-81CD-46771D7AE813.jpeg
    13A56C9F-17CC-49C9-81CD-46771D7AE813.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 33
  • F20E5EFD-EDFD-4F5C-AF59-B770DCD2D39D.jpeg
    F20E5EFD-EDFD-4F5C-AF59-B770DCD2D39D.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 32
  • FDF3C34D-62BD-41D3-8757-D9B02391C708.jpeg
    FDF3C34D-62BD-41D3-8757-D9B02391C708.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 36
Props for trying something new! Growing up I loved breasted duck meat on a CI. But that was wild mallard, I’ve never tried this. Yes, I gave up on poultry skin w/my MES long ago. No trick worked for me, that’s what I have my Kettles for!

Props for trying something new! Growing up I loved breasted duck meat on a CI. But that was wild mallard, I’ve never tried this. Yes, I gave up on poultry skin w/my MES long ago. No trick worked for me, that’s what I have my Kettles for!

What is CI?

My fav duck dish was a duck gyro from Taxim in Chicago. I may try to recreate this as I have two frozen duck breast from this gift certificate

What is CI?

My fav duck dish was a duck gyro from Taxim in Chicago. I may try to recreate this as I have two frozen duck breast from this gift certificate
CI is cast iron

Ryan

Awesome looking duck, but really "Go Steelers!"

Kick a man while he is down. It is hard to call it a rivalry anymore. I went to Miami of Ohio during the end of the Ben area. Congrats

Kick a man while he is down. It is hard to call it a rivalry anymore. I went to Miami of Ohio during the end of the Ben area. Congrats
I'm not really a steelers.fan, i just grew up in pa during the bradshaw era. Now neither team seems to be at the top of their game.

I love duck & have tried to make a Chinese style roast duck, but from prep to cooked it taking close to 24 hours, it is easier to drive to the local Asian market and buy a whole roasted duck for $22. The time is needed to dry the skin in the refrigerator if you want crispy skin w/o drying out the meat.

Reactions: Retired Spook
You are just like me, have to try new things all the time.
Sometimes they are winners, and sometimes not so much.
The next project may be the big winner!
Al

I may have spoken too soon. The broth was heavenly in a soup. Cooked ground pork shoulder with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, mirin, onion, fish sauce, salt, red pepper flakes, some asian hot sauce. added stir fry egg noodles. Attempted soft boiled eggs but i cooked them too long so I did not serve. Was an amazing soup for night one and basically a lo mein for leftoverts the next day. Between the original smoked duck, the duck fat and the bone broth, I do feel it was worth the effort.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky