6.3lbs. of Boston Butt in the smoke.

Discussion in 'Pork' started by tom 178, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

At 10:00 am I put it in with my new AMNPTS with hickory pellets and my new Maverick 732 from TJohonson. I used Jeff's recipe for the rub with 1/2 the brown sugar and 1/2 the cayenne. I made some sauce also Jeff's with 1/2 the molasses and 1/2 the sugar because I'm diabetic. I am also getting my car fixed and will have to go picked it up soon. It is now 11:00am and the Maverick is reading 225* and 75 for the IT. Hope this turns into some great pulled pork. My wife will have to watch it while I go to pick up the car. I'll post some pictures when it is done.

Tom

disco likes this.
  2. [​IMG]   Im in!!  Can't wait for the pics.  

3. bobank03

bobank03 Smoking Fanatic

Sounds good there Tom. get some pics posted for us! What smoker are you using? I'm doing a 5lb pork shoulder tomorrow so I will do a dry run via your post, lol

Happy Smoken!

4. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is 12:25pm and the IT is 118* smoker temp is 212* working it's way back to 225*. I put another load of hickory pellets in the 6" tube which was still smoking a little. The cheap torch I bought to light the AMNPTS is a little hard to light but once I get the torch lit it lights the pellets easily. I did put water in the water pan, it is pretty dry here in Vegas. The Maverick is great! The MES door thermo. reads ~155* when the Maverick reads 225*.

Bob I'm using a 30" MES analog.

Here is my first try at posting pictures. I did some beef ribs, tri-tip, and twice smoked potatoes. I did these a few days ago.

I'll take some of the B. Butt later

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  5. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is now 1:12pm IT is 129* and smoker temp. is 228*. Tomorrow I am doing some ribs, mac&cheese, and some fatties.

6. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is now 2:13pm IT= 140* and smoker temp.= 221*. AMNPTS is still smoking. [​IMG]

7. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Oh, this is going to be good! Just give it the time it needs to get to pulling temperature and give it a rest. I am anxiously awaiting your finished pictures!

Disco

8. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's some good looking smoke Tom! Can't ever go wrong with a good smokes tri tip! Little salt pepper garlic and onion powder, maybe some chipotle for a bit of heat, 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan, oh yeah!!!!

Hope your butt turns out great!

9. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is now 3:06pm IT= 144* and smoker = 237* It is still smoking those pellets are great. I think I'll let it get a little higher on the IT, add some apple juice, then foil it, and let it heat up to ~200* (smoker temp. is back at 225 right now. I am getting almost a 20degree swing in temp. as the electric burner kicks on and off)

10. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is 3:45pm IT = 147* smoker = 212* I added apple juice and covered it with foil now to just let it go to pulling temp. of ~200*.

Here is a pic of the butt with the juice and about to get the foil cover.

[​IMG]

11. disco

I'm loving your pictures! Thanks.

12. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is 5:20pm IT = 154* smoker temp. = 226*. It been in there for 7 hours and 20 minutes. I am thinking of turning up the smoker temp. a little closer to 240* so it is done in 3 or 4 more hours.

13. bobank03

bobank03 Smoking Fanatic

sure bump her up a bit, won't hurt a thing. 

14. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

It is 6:20pm IT=180* smoker temp. = 256*

15. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow I have been missing it! Nice looking butt!

And liking thos twice baked too!

Mmmmmm......... lookin gud!

16. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

IT was 205* at 7:45pm. I took it out and let it rest for 45 minutes. I took a pic and am letting it cool a little because it is still to hot to pull.

17. bobank03

bobank03 Smoking Fanatic

Wow looks great!

18. disco

This looks like a major success. Enjoy!

Disco

19. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks really great!

20. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member