500 gallon smoker smokestack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremy chasteen

Original poster
May 9, 2017
i am building a smoker and have a question. what is the best material for the smokestack. and on a 500 gallon does anyone have suggestions for size? thanks in advance.

Hey there! You will need to look at the Felton's smoker calculator. You plug in the dimensions of your cook chamber and it will tell you what size for some stack and firebox. I would guess on that size of smoker you'd need at least a 6inch diameter piece of pipe that is around 40inches or so above cook chamber. Hope that helps. I have a 6 inch diameter pipe that is about 1/4 inch thick.

Last edited:
I found a pipe yard that sells 24 in diameter pipe and smaller. Guy had a perfect piece for me that was 51 in long and a little over 6 inches in diameter. Gave it to me for $15. Look around as you drive and google pipe in your area. It's there you just have to find it.

how thick was the metal on the pipe you bought. I have a salvage yard that has the sizes I am looking at, but the metal seems thick....and its super heavy. Just wanted to see what you guys have bought in the past.

Dave! thanks, that is super helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky