4lb Butt vs 8-9 lb, how much faster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
I usually get my 8-9 lb butts done in 10-14 hours depending on what temp I smoke at. Tomorrow I have a 3.8 lb piece I'm planning to smoke most likely around the 225-235º range and I'm trying to figure a reasonable time to put it on considering at least an hour rest at the end. Would it be reasonable to estimate getting to an IT of 205º somewhere around 5-6 hours?

Depending on shape and internals it should take about 1.5 to 2 hrs. per lbs.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
Kind of what I was thinking but wanted to get a couple more opinions to make sure. With that established I'll probably start monitoring the IT around the 4th hour. Put it in a marinade bag of molasses, pickling salt and water late last night and should have it in the smoker around 11am this morning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky