45 racks of spare ribs for tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
what if he cooked them the whole time in the foil, and then for the last 30 minutes cook them on the grate with no foil? it would steam the ribs with the juices, and then kinda stiffen them up at the end

Just goes to show how little the restaurant community actually knows about making GOOD ribs.  And people wonder why I wont order BBQ when we go out to eat...

I totally agree. A few years ago my cousin was told she had to make ribs for an event and she had never made them before so she was nervous. She put them in a big roaster oven and cooked them for several hours and they were totally fall off the bone. You couldn't even pick the ribs up as the bones would fall out. People though they were just the best ribs because they were so tender. My wife and I just looked at each other and shook our heads and zipped our lips. As you said most people don't have a clue what good BBQ actually tastes like or how to make it.

It sounds to me, although I am late, that he plans on just grilling them.  It can be done, but the meat won't be as tender.  He can try wraping them in foil for the first hour and then transfering them to a cooler side of the grill for a while turning often.

Cole

what if he cooked them the whole time in the foil, and then for the last 30 minutes cook them on the grate with no foil? it would steam the ribs with the juices, and then kinda stiffen them up at the end
 2 hrs in the foil would  be ok if he had started them w/ 3 hrs on the smoker.

There is now way that you can smoke decent ribs in 2.5 hrs.

imo you can't even grill tender good ribs in 2.5 hrs  But that is just me.

So how did this turn out, I'm curious to see how this fiasco ended...
me too.............not only do i fear for the swine sticks, do not let this "head chef" near any cigar over $5 with a cutter in hand................

Ah man that wouldn't be cool at all. A good time would be smoking 45 slabs of ribs, while puffing on a vintage Rocky Patel, and sipping on a great beer. Hopefully he doesnt spill the beer to =)...

Wsa just on another site and found this, Not a smoke but ribs done in 2.5 hrs.

google bbq pitboyz and look for the 2 .5 hr rib cook

Last edited:
Wsa just on another site and found this, Not a smoke but ribs done in 2.5 hrs.

google bbq pitboyz and look for the 2 .5 hr rib cook

LOL----I like those characters. I've watched them on U-Tube through my TV a few times.

The one time they took two full packs of sliced store-bought Bacon, indirectly smoked it on a BBQ grill, then made BLTs with it.

Two sammies each out of two pounds of Bacon !!!

They might not do things the way we think they should all of the time, but they really are funny to watch.

Bear

alright, I'm going to stick my head through the hole and and see how many pies, baseballs, and rocks get thrown at me. i agree you cannot make good (competition) smoked ribs in 2.5hrs but you can make good cooked ribs. Every now and then the wife will come home and wants ribs and doesnt want to wait. go figure.... I had to come up with a way to accomplish this. par boil was out of the question because all the flovor is gone and the meat tastes fatty and its just all wrong. I wound up preping as I normally do for a smoke (Salt,rub, get to room temp). I tried a box of those foil bags. I took a couple of tries to figure out the correct cook time and temp but they came out very well for COOKED ribs. I dont buy the heavy duty foil bags anymore cause they are expensive. now for some quick ribs I will buy the axtra large heavy duty foil roll and double up the foil. foil the ribs so they are bagged and be very careful not to puncture. preheat the grill to 350 degrees and place the foiled ribs on and cook for 45 min. , 55 min if the ribs were out of the fridge. the bags will poof like pillows and the ribs will be steamed in there own juices. after the first 45min the ribs start to become tender and the meat shrinks at the ends of the bones. remove the ribs from the foil and turn the burner as low as it can go and place the ribs back on the grill for five minutes on each side. start your basting  every 10min on each side for 50 min... They are good for cooked ribs in a hurry...... thats 105 min ribs

I'll duck now

Last edited:
Ah man that wouldn't be cool at all. A good time would be smoking 45 slabs of ribs, while puffing on a vintage Rocky Patel, and sipping on a great beer. Hopefully he doesnt spill the beer to =)...
i like toranos.........and the "dark side" smokes.

I've never heard of those but I also like Partagas Black Magnifico, Don Tomas, and Man O' War alot. All a great smoke that goes well with BBQ. Any idea on how this ended???

It is possible. You just have to cook 'em at higher heat.

They won't develop quite the smoke ring, now will they be as smoky-flavored. But doing them at 325 degrees should get 'em done and delicious. There are pros that do them at high heat for short durations and get great results.

It's done. People actually loved them, raved on and on. I guess people are just use to Chili's and Famous Dave's "BBQ" so they will accept anything. At some point I will get my towable rig and do some real 'Que for these folks.

At least the cigars were great.

at least it went well.................what was the featured cigar if there was one.

at least it went well.................what was the featured cigar if there was one.
"Virginians" & "Parodis", Clint Eastwood style. 
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

The features all the cigars rolled by the Pepins since they were attending. They (Pepin) had a master roller there who rolled about 50 sticks, they also had the Jamie Garcia, My Father and a few others. I like the Jamie Garcia, especially now that they have the 60x6 size. Overall it was a good event. And if the people liked the ribs (I did not partake) then it's all good.

bear............perzactly!

va conni................pepin has been a busy boy since he parted ways with padilla, good solid smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky