4 - Turkey Thanksgiving Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pops I was curious how you go about reheating them on Turkey Day? I've always just put them in my big roaster pan and added some chicken broth to the bottom and reheated them at around 225-250 for 2-3 hour until they are warm. Just curious if you had a better method.
Well, on Turkey Day we're going to have Thanksgiving at our oldest son's house with a fresh 25 lb. turkey he ordered.   I'll give the cold birds to my two sons and how they heat them up I will have no idea.  However, for us, I'm going to cut ours up tonight into parts and into ziplocs into the meat crisper and pull out parts'n'pieces and reheat in the microwave or oven for several dinners and lunches, boning out first on most items, nom nomming on the wings, lol!  Back bone to the dog! (after I munch on the meat parts, lol!  She and I shared all the necks and giblets, too!)

I'm trying my first smoked turkey for Thanksgiving, using a gas Perfect Flame vertical smoker. I have lost my owners manual and was wondering what Temp to cook at, and approximately how long it will take for a 13.5# turkey. Also I see Pops use of a net to hang the turkeys. Where can I get some of this netting and what is it made of. The turkey is brined and I plan to use apple wood for the smoke. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
My smokehouse I run at about 225° - 240°. Time is so hard to tell, but these took me 12 hours.  The ham bags I get from Butcher Packer, but other suppliers carry them too.  It is a cotton weave.  Look at my signature line at all the links, they're all there to help you.

How big were those birds to start with Pops? Everyone was concerned with a bird over 20 on the forum. just curious.

look great.

I did my first one last week friday, but it was 20# so I spatchcocked it. LOVE them...plan on another one this weekend.
They were 12 - 15 lbs.

However, time was not important because I cured them first with a sodium nitrite curing brine that retards botulism so you can cook them low and slow.  (see Pop's Curing Brine on my sig line).  It will give them a ham flavor and pink highlights, and they are a delicacy!   They took 12 hours to get to fully cooked stage.

Beutiful color! I love the tan line on the top right one where a wing was.........
LOL!  That is actually a skin rip, haven't touched them yet, but that one's going to get cut up in a few minutes, as soon as I get done here, lol!

BTW, just a side note, did you know you can decifer the actual time of the post vs. "7 hrs 29 min"?   Just hold your mouse over it and the date and actual time will appear!

Last edited:
Looks good smokeing one this week for church will brine in cranburry juice and try netting will post pictures soon

Gosh , that looks DadGum  Goooood  !!!!!!  
Looks-Great.gif
drool.gif

Fantastic Pops - Thanks so much for sharing with us all you know - have a great holiday!

icon14.gif
I could live to 100 or have another stroke tomorrow and kick the bucket; trying to get everything out of my measly brain and in print ASAP; have asked the family for 1 gift for Christmas; Nuance's Dragon basic voice to text program so I can speak to type, my fingers just aren't getting any better than 8 wpm.  If it works it will be a godsend!

Pops... you never seize to amaze me... Damn they look good.. you have to much knowledge to even think about leaving us... So if I send my address I'll see one on my doorstep ? :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky