30 lbs of baby backs???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Todd White

Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
So... question for the more experienced than myself:
I have the new, but bottom of the line Char-griller. I’ve smoked plenty of Tri-tips with great success, but that’s about it. I want to smoke 30 lbs of baby backs for an upcoming event and thinking that it would take forever to get the meat up to final temp. Anyone have any insight or advice for this amount of meat on a manually operated smoker???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 13
Rib racks but will probably need a tuning plate to even out the hot spot by the fire box, temps will have to be watched closely when you get it full of meat, rotating them will help also, figure 3lbs a rack you will have 10-12?

Reactions: Todd White
Because it's a new smoker (which regardless of price takes time to learn) I would probably smoke them for an hour or two and then finish them in the oven. This sort of accomplishes two things.....
1. if there's not enough room in the smoker for 10-12 racks (which I think is a very real possibility) you can cook them in shifts and move them over to the oven.
2. No matter how good a cooker you have, temperature control in an oven is going to be better.

Not something I like to do but because it's an event that's your best chance for success.

Hey Todd. I'm inclined to agree with Nole on this one. Give'em some smoke for a couple of hours and finish them in an oven. Also wouldn't hurt to add a bit of moisture while they're finishing (fruit juice, beer, or broth.) BB's are generally pretty lean, (as opposed to spares which are a little more forgiving as they contain more fat.) so a little added moisture is a good thing. My $0.02.

Went down a similar road. I bought 3 Rib Racks. I was able to load 12 racks of St Louis ribs on their sides...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky