3 speed power draft

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navigator

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 11, 2007
Ashland, WI
Hoping to use this my MES340G mainly for cold smoking. I got the Masterbuilt cold smoker or whatever they call it.
and added this speed controller to regulate the temperature on the heating element and hopefully get a long full burn on the hopper full of chips.
Then instead of the chimney i mad this 3 speed power draft I can just set over the damper and use as needed. this should eliminate the possibility of the creosote dripping inside the smoker and getting on the food.

Time will tell. Have to either make a batch of sausage or buy some cheese to smoke so I can test it out.
J1m1Aey.jpg

JAr3VVV.jpg

Using this to control element temp.
P58gf9i.jpg

You can also get a bag of Almonds at Costco or Sam's Club and smoke them.
I typically do Almonds along with cheeses.

Good luck as you move forward!

Reactions: navigator
Interested in your results. I used a computer fan and an inexpensive DC voltage controller to control the fan speed. I found that even on a very slow fan speed I was pulling too much draft so I extended the fan on "legs" which solved the problem.

For the cold smoker attachment I used a Router Speed Control from Harbor Freight. It has plenty of amp capacity to handle the smoker. I start it out on full and when the chips start to smoulder I dial it back to about half power.
_DSC0725.JPG

Well, forgive me, but I chose natural drafting over forced by adding a stack to my MES.
Heat rises. And after burning wood for heat with a sundry of wood stoves, I prefer powerless (and effortless) drafting. So one of my first interests was a smoke stack.
For my temperature control, I did my Bypass Mod and use an Inkbird control to manage smoker internal temperature in the ambient to 210° range. (But the idea was for <100° range cold smoking with an AMNPS in my "Mailbox Mod".)

More bananas here.

But just more food for thought... ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky