3 Drums & 3 Thighs. (Naked in Air Fryer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
3 Drums & 3 Thighs. (Naked in Air Fryer)

Gotta make some more Naked Drums & Thighs in My Air Fryer, because they’re soooo good!!!
Last time I packed tightly 7 Drums & 5 Thighs in the basket, and it affected how even they heated, so I won’t be doing that again.
This time I put 3 Drums & 3 Thighs in, so the air had room to flow around the pieces.
So first I sprayed a little olive oil on them, then into the basket & into the Fryer, set @ 380°.
Then at 22 minutes, I pulled the basket, coated with Jeff’s BBQ sauce, flipped them over, and coated that side too.
Then back in again until 33 minutes total time. This made them all over 170° IT.
For the first Meal, I added some Roasted Taters & Green Beans to a big old Drum, and a second helping of a Thigh & a couple more Taters.

Then the second night I cut off the meat from the remaining Chicken Parts, and heated it all up in some butter in a hot pan.
I also heated up the leftover Roasted Taters, and added them to my plate of Chicken.

Thanks for stopping in,

Bear

Three Drums & 3 Thighs, oiled lightly and ready for Air Fryer, in Basket:
IMG_5763.jpeg

Flipped over @ 22 minutes in 380°:
IMG_5764.jpeg

After 33 Minutes, all at least 170° IT:
IMG_5766.jpeg

Bear's First Helping:
IMG_5765.jpeg

Bear's Second Helping, Same Night (a Thigh & more Taters):
IMG_5767.jpeg

Second Night's Supper started, by cutting leftover meat from bones:
IMG_5778.jpeg

Heating up some Roasted Taters, in a Buttered Pan:
IMG_5779.jpeg

Cut up the rest of the trimmed Meat & Heat in Buttered Pan:
IMG_5780.jpeg

Flipping around & completing the heating:
IMG_5781.jpeg

Bear's second Night's Supper of Pan Heated Leftovers (Chicken Meat trimmings & Roasted Taters):
IMG_5782.jpeg

Just can't beat Air Fried Chicken, Looks Great

Gary

Looks good Bud!
I was just mentioning to Judy today about the post with the jalapeño stuffed thighs, wrapped in bacon. Then smoked. Gonna have to try that!
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks awesome Bear! That air fryer sure does a nice job. Naked chicken like thats probably my favorite way.

Looks great, planning on some chicken thigh quarters in there tonight. Gonna put a dash of Montreal Chicken on them.

Update:
Getting things ready, I discovered that she took out just thighs and not th pack of chicken quarters. That is ok with me .
Hit them with a little cooking spray and Montreal.
20200930_162433.jpg

Air fryer set for 380° air fry mode for 35 mins. At 25 min, checked temp 152°. Little sauce on both sides and back in. Should have turned temp up a bit, as skin still very rubbery. Let go for another 10 mins, IT at 175°. Pulled and let rest while getting the leftover potatoes,carrots, onions warmed up.
20200930_171314.jpg

Was very tasty but skin did not get crispy at all.
With the drippings down on the burners, I did manage to get all 3 smoke alarms tested. That ran the little dog under the bed.:emoji_relaxed:
wish I had a range hood to place Merrill under when doing the greasier foods.

Last edited:
Looks good . I made chicken and fries in mine last night . Does a great job .

another fine looking meal (meals) there Bear, you are going to force me to buy an air fryer yet, but i have a feeling me and the air fryer will be knocking on door looking for somewhere to sleep.🤕

Looks great!

Drums and thighs have become a staple in the airfryer in our house.

Thank You Norm!!
Yup---These & the Boneless Skinless Thighs are my Favorite, with the Air Fryer!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Any tricks how to keep things from getting so smokey when doing chicken in the air fryer? May have to try the cooking pan underneath so drippings can't get to the burner but then will lose a Lot of the bottom burner cooking heat

Any tricks how to keep things from getting so smokey when doing chicken in the air fryer? May have to try the cooking pan underneath so drippings can't get to the burner but then will lose a Lot of the bottom burner cooking heat

I always have the Baking Pan under the Baskets, to catch the drips.
I never have a smoke problem.
The fans come from a number of different directions, and I always have the fans going. I usually select "Roast", to get the full benefit of the Fans.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Winterrider
I always have the Baking Pan under the Baskets, to catch the drips.
I never have a smoke problem.
The fans come from a number of different directions, and I always have the fans going. I usually select "Roast", to get the full benefit of the Fans.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
Thanks, I'm gonna start doing that that with the pan. I just thought it may hamper the results blocking the bottom heat, but if needed I will add some additional time.

Looks great, planning on some chicken thigh quarters in there tonight. Gonna put a dash of Montreal Chicken on them.

Update:
Getting things ready, I discovered that she took out just thighs and not th pack of chicken quarters. That is ok with me .
Hit them with a little cooking spray and Montreal.View attachment 465234
Air fryer set for 380° air fry mode for 35 mins. At 25 min, checked temp 152°. Little sauce on both sides and back in. Should have turned temp up a bit, as skin still very rubbery. Let go for another 10 mins, IT at 175°. Pulled and let rest while getting the leftover potatoes,carrots, onions warmed up.
View attachment 465235
Was very tasty but skin did not get crispy at all.
With the drippings down on the burners, I did manage to get all 3 smoke alarms tested. That ran the little dog under the bed.:emoji_relaxed:
wish I had a range hood to place Merrill under when doing the greasier foods.

Hmmm---Looks Great, Rider!!
Don't know what to tell you on the rubbery skin. Did you have the Fans going?
Maybe give it a few more minutes. I took some up to over 190° IT, and it didn't hurt a bit.
Definitely gotta get that pan under the Wire Crisper Baskets.

Bear

I used the air fry mode, so fans were on. Will try roast next time. I think used bake previously and it did get a little crispier.
Oh well, trial and error. It's edible regardless.
Thanks for the tips...

Looks great haven't tried fresh chicken in our fryer yet.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good Bud!
I was just mentioning to Judy today about the post with the jalapeño stuffed thighs, wrapped in bacon. Then smoked. Gonna have to try that!
Al

Thank You Al !!
I saw that---It looked Awesome!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks awesome Bear! That air fryer sure does a nice job. Naked chicken like thats probably my favorite way.

Thank You Travis!!
Yup--- My favorite things in this are Chicken, Fish, Sausage, Pizza and Fries.
Love It !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky