1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

3/4" Thick Steel Smoker

Discussion in 'Smoker Builds' started by Stoutpups, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM.

1. Stoutpups

Stoutpups Newbie

I have access to 3/4" steel. Is this too thick to use to build a smoker?

2. kruizer

kruizer Master of the Pit

That would be too thick in my estimation.

3. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I'm all for overkill when making things, but you're going to need the means to cut, bend, and weld that thick of steel. Also, that's going to be one HEAVY smoker. I'd have to agree with kruizer.

4. For a smoker maybe but not for a lightly armoured vehicle. Can you get your hands on an engine too?

Stoutpups likes this.
  5. Stoutpups

Stoutpups Newbie

Ha, great answers. Thanks guys, will go another route and see if they have thinner stuff on hand!

6. If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly...
    Build the damned thing and let the rest of us shower you with accolades.

As long as you have the wherewithal to cut the plate (you're not going to bend it) and a welder with enough stones to fill the gaps, I think you're golden.

It might be a smoker we would reference as the sine qua non...

7. phathead69

phathead69 Smoking Fanatic

TN
    If built you can probably forgo theft insurance cause I doubt short of heavy hydraulic equipment anyone will be able to steal it.

8. prestonk08

prestonk08 Smoke Blower

Use it for your fire box!!! And find some smaller stuff for your cook chamber. Would make an appointment xxellent firebox.

9. prestonk08

prestonk08 Smoke Blower

Sorry. Excellent. Not appointment. Jeez.