3-2-1 question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hntrss

Original poster
Jan 9, 2018
I have been making ribs on my large BGE for a couple of years now using the 3-2-1 method. I put cider, butter and some more rub in the foil. My problem is , when I remove them from the foil they always fall apart to a degree. Then when cutting more of the same. They are “too” fall off the bone. I really don’t get any pull. And usually wind up using a knife and fork.
They are delicious, but I’m looking to improve my texture. It seems this method is everyone’s go to, but I am getting ready to try it without the foil. I have tried cutting the foil to one hour with the same results. Thanks for reading, Glenn

Here are a couple of different approaches to smoking ribs, but the bottom line is, if you are looking for ribs that are tender & juicy, but not FOTB, then get a good therm with a small needle probe & shoot for an IT of 195.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works.240916/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/naked-ribs-no-rub-no-sauce.263432/
Here is a good therm with a thin probe, perfect for ribs.
http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop
Hope this helps!
Al

Thanks to both of you, it sounds like IT is the key. Going to defrost a couple racks and give it a go. One wrapped and one with Al’s naked rib recipe. Thanks again!

Yup. Like everyone else is saying, you are overcooking them. Al's posted method is "foolproof" by using a therm. You will probably find your ribs will be done more like 2-2-1. Also verify your pit temps with a pit probe at grate level. Don't just go by a mechanical therm on your smoker lid or wherever.

The key to 3-2-1 is to use it as a starting point and then adjust for your preferences and smoker.

Like mentioned above, if they are too "fall apart" for you, then the foil/steaming stage is likely where you need to make adjustments. How much liquid are you putting in?

Are you sure your smoker is running @225? Higher temps really compound the foil stage.

Some folks have started doing 3-1-1 @250, with the goal being a bit more pull on the bone.

Bottom line if you are happy with everything else with your ribs, just a bit of tweak to your foil stage should do the trick.

My last ones were baby backs and I tried the 3-2-1 and it was just like op was saying. They broke in half and in the ground haha. After reading more, I see that 2-2-1 seems to be better for baby backs. Not really sure what the foiling does for the ribs yet but I will definitely try 2-2-1 next time or maybe smoke for 4 hours then add sauce for the last hour

Ok, no lie but i was struggling with this method as well. To me its a great training method but you can tweak it as needed. One day i got a wild hair up my butt and decided to smoke at 275 and read different 3 hours was optimal. At about the 2 hour mark i decided to toothpick it and was like naw still had some resistance on the pass. Checked it every 15 minutes and at the 2.5 mark the toothpick passed thru like butter, decided to let it ride and went too far as it missed a "window" for lack of better words but it was still a very good rib. So i took out another slab and decided to do it again and at the 2 hour and 15 minute mark passed the toothpick thru like butter and decided to take it off and put them on the counter with foil loosely covering it for 10 minutes. Hands down had a great bark and butter soft interior with a little tooth. I will never go back to any other method besides the toothpick test. I did 275 because i had success with brisket at 275 so i wanted to see if i could do both. goodluck man, oh yeah those were baby backs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky