3-2-1 or 2-2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
3-2-1 for spares
2-2-1 for baby backs

After trying them this way you may want to adjust times usually foil times to get them the way you personally want them as far as tenderness these will be fall off the bone

I do my ribs by IT, so it doesn’t really matter if you wrap them or not. If the IT is 195 then you will get a nice juicy rib, but it will not fall off the bone. If you want FOTB ribs, then take them to 200-205. Personally, sometimes I wrap them, but in most cases I just let them go to the IT I’m looking for. I also mop them every 45 minutes or so with a combo of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, & bbq sauce. You just need to experiment & find the best way to make ribs that you & your family like, not what someone tells you is the only way to make ribs. It took me a long time to perfect my ribs, & I still change them up almost each time I smoke them. Good luck & I hope your ribs turn out awesome!
Al

As close to 225F as I can hold the smoker. My budget Char-Broil 16" does a surprisingly good job at holding temp since I made some mods; temp gauge that actually reads the correct temp and a gasket at the barrel to charcoal tray and lid to barrel surfaces.
I think the whole 3-2-1/ 2-2-1 thing is based on a 225 temp so you're in the ball park and 2-2-1 would be your baseline.
I've never wrapped ribs with paper so I'm curious how it works...

i only wrap to help get through the stall. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
if i have those thick danish cut BB's use foil to make a "boat" for apple juice/vinegar" under the crown.
thinner less meaty ones I just use paper.

Hi , sorry I'm late in the welcome to SMF
sounds like all great advice , you will find the right way that works for you ,
with the help given above by the members

Don't forget we like Pictures . Especially the finish

David

Update: Too much going on Sunday so I smoked a rack today. Did a 5 hour unsweetened apple juice marinate, off the shelf rub and smoked for 4-3/4 hours total, spritzed with apple juice every half hour of the initial 2 hours. Held between 220 F and 240 F, the wind caused the temp to spike up! Spritzed with apple juice, drizzled with honey and wrapped with parchment paper for the second 2 hours of a 2-2-1 routine and finished uncovered for just under an hour with a sugar free BBQ sauce mop every 20 minutes . My smoker is a budget Char-Broil 16" bullet with a couple of basic mods, used Kingsford Original and Weber Apple wood Chunks.

Result was very juicy, good smoke ring (sorry no pics, too many waiting to eat to mess around), the meat pulled back off the bone more like non-wrapped (less bone showing} and the bark was softer than non-wrapped but not as soft as foil wrapped, still had decent bite but came clean off the bone. The parchment paper did not leak but it did absorb some oil. I like this method and will probably shift from foil to paper for all smokes that get wrapped.

Last edited:
In my attempts the 3-2-1 has to be at 180F and forget wrapping or you get pulled pork without having to pull it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky