3-2-1 Method and Sauce Choices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin_all_night

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
North Texas
I haven't posted here for a while. I have been busy and spending my BBQ time working on sauce recipes. I have a silly notion that I'd like to market a line of sauces when I retire.

Anyway, back to the subject. I developed a great Texas style sauce that everyone raves about. I used to cook ribs with the 3-2-1 method and they turned our great. At the last stage, I basted them with Cattleman's sauce mixed with about 1/3 Honey. I got a great glaze as the sauce carmelized during the last hour. However when I used my sauce, the ribs came out a little "soft" and did not take on the final appearence that I used to get. So what gives? The answer is that my sauce while great tasting is not the right answer for the basting stage (last hour) of the 3-2-1 method. So one size (or sauce) does not fit all.

The lesson learned here is that when using the 3-2-1 method, use a sauce for basting that has a very high sugar content. Tht will ensure that the sauce carmelizes and firms up the ribs and gives them the shiny "Restaurant Look" that you want.

Regards,
Aubrey Page
icon_surprised.gif

--------------
OTBS #007

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky