2nd tri tip. Way better!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fishonshawn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
Did my first tri tip a couple months back and it turned out so so...I did it to rare and had to stick the individual slices back out on the sear box which then kind of over cooked them..it was good but I knew they could be better. Well we went to costco the other day to get a whole ribeye and i saw 2 prime tri tips sitting there and decided to give it another go. This one turned out waaaaay better. Perfect. My wife and I actually decided we prefer this over brisket and I'm sure this is now going to be a staple meal here.
20191121_154351.jpg

20191121_154939.jpg

Oh WOW! That looks perfect. I have smoked a few briskets over the years. They are good but just not my favorite smoked meat. I think I may give a Tri-Tip a try. Yours looks great.

Reactions: JC in GB
Very nice looking cook. I just tried tri tip for the first time last weekend. They are really tasty...

You can get Tri tips through Gordon Food Service. I just got a case of them.

Be prepared to pay a few$$$. I got the case for $3.89/lb

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Outstanding! You know its good when you see all those juices all over your cutting board! Cant find any stores around here that sell tri-tip...maybe one day I'll get to try one!

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks Great!! What was the internal temp when you pulled it?
It was kind of all over the place. I pulled it off at 105ish to sear it and then put it back in the smoker. My plan was to pull it at 135. My thermo pro was reading 133 so I went out to double check with a hand held thermometer and I was reading temps of 136 in the middle to mid 140's near the ends. I pulled it thinking i had over shot it a little and let it rest in some open foil to cool. Turned out really good though.

Outstanding! You know its good when you see all those juices all over your cutting board! Cant find any stores around here that sell tri-tip...maybe one day I'll get to try one!
That was only half the juice too. I put it in some foil to rest but left the top of the foil open cause I didn't want to temp to climb to much more and hoped leaving it open might help. When I pulled it out of that foil boat the bottom of it was filled with juice. We sat there and ate our fill right off the cutting board dipping the pieces in the foil juices as it had a hint of sweet from the rub mix we used.

I did a Tri Tip on Thursday in my MES 30. I pulled it at 130 I.T. let it rest then sliced. It was on the rare side to say the least! I wish I had done a reverse sear to finish. It was still delicious. Used Montreal Steak seasoning on one side, fat cap removed, 225 deg. The longer it sat the more it bled...lol!
tri-1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky