2nd guessing amount of cure #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
I started dry brining my bellies today. Only my 2nd time doing bacon, and I don't remember the amount of cure being so little.

I weighed each piece, and used DiggingDogs calculator to convert #'s to grams.

My heaviest piece was 4.56 lbs, or 2068.3708 g.

I weighed out 6.51g of cure #1 @ 6.25%. (Gram scale, calibrated today)

Now heres whats has me 2nd guessing myself.

I'm reading to use 1 level tsp for evety 5# of meat. However, 6.51g of cure #1 isn't even close to 1 tsp. (Knowing the weight of the belly is slightly less then 5#).

Am I over thinking this?

Last edited:
1 teaspoon table salt is 6.08g...Close enough to Cure #1. I ran 2068.37 at 156 ppm and get ,5.16g cure needed. No big deal if you used 6.51...JJ

Use 1.1 grams of cure per pound so 4.56 would be 5 grams of cure. thats about the same as 0.25 %

0.25%...0.25%...0.25%....So easy to remember. Also easy to calculate with mental math: a quarter of the weight, then move decimal point to the left twice.

Reactions: berefood
Thanks for the help guys.

I wieghed 1 level tsp of my cure, and i was 7.1g. Now i know 100% that my cure was labled 6.25%. (Original packaging gone). But before ordering I verified with the manufacturer that it was indeed 6.25% as that is what is so often mentioned here in SMF.

I guess it still amazes me that such a tiny amount can cure a 4.5# hunk of meat....

mowin

A little bit of posion goes a long way
pot.gif
Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.

Paracelsus

Don't feel bad I'm always second and triple guessing myself when we make our venison sausage. Since it's cold smoked at no higher than 48° and we rely strictly on the cure to make the sausage safe to eat. No cooking at all involved.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky