2nd Brisket Cook....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to have another go at smoking a brisket. Just as a reminder for those who do not know, I did a flat this summer on the Weber Genesis with indirect heat, same as I have done successfully with quite a few butts, ribs etc., and it turned out like shoe leather and was not even edible so it ended up in the trash can.

Needless to say I have been a bit leary about having a second go but I figured now was the time since I added a Rec Tec to my arsenal and have done quite a few cooks on it to become familiar, including a test run with a couple of chuckies.

So here is the 13 lb. USDA Choice Point that I bought from Sam's with Jeff's Texas Rub and wrapped overnight, then injected prior to hitting the smoker @235 with Lumber Jack competition pellets. Out of the fridge at 3am and on the smoker at 4am.

IMG_20200120_032528457.jpg

Here is a view of the sun coming up at about 7am.
IMG_20200120_070040662.jpg

And after a few hours and IT temp at about 140. I did start spraying it every hour or so with the leftover injection marinade, topped up with a bit more broth.
IMG_20200120_110039651.jpg

Here it is at an IT of 200 and ready to pull. The bald spot is where my quality control officer took a sample from...
IMG_20200120_151954270.jpg

So I put it on the tray to rest tented for a bit.
IMG_20200120_154220285.jpg

And now onto the cutting board to be sliced.
IMG_20200120_163139812.jpg

Boy does it have some nice bark and a killer smoke ring or what?
IMG_20200120_163417088.jpg

And here is the final plated shot, with homemade fried potatoes and onions and a homemade spinach casserole with smoked grated Asiago cheese.
IMG_20200120_163702464.jpg

For those interested in what I used for the injection marinade, I found it here.
2 Cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

It turned out really nice and juicy and really tender, so a success! Finally....

Sue and I have already had some with breakfast it is so good. And I need to get it vac sealed quick or there won't be any left. :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for Lookin'

John

Last edited:
Hell yeah John that looks great! You nailed it on the bark and smoke ring. I have never seen just the point for sale. I think its the best part of the brisket! Nice work. Well worth getting up early in the morning!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Looks like that one turned out real nice! I only have a few brisket cooks under my belt. My first one turned out like your first one. The last few have been pretty good. Need to do another one soon. LIKE!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Very nice! Glad you gave it another go. Nailed it
Thanks Jake, appreciate it.

Hell yeah John that looks great! You nailed it on the bark and smoke ring. I have never seen just the point for sale. I think its the best part of the brisket! Nice work. Well worth getting up early in the morning!
Thanks John for the like and it was definitely worth getting up a couple of hours early.

Very nice looking brisket.

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks JC for the like and nice comment

Looks like that one turned out real nice! I only have a few brisket cooks under my belt. My first one turned out like your first one. The last few have been pretty good. Need to do another one soon. LIKE!
Thanks Sowsage for the like and support! Now I wanna get back to Sam's real soon.

John

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks amazing!

I wish the Sams by me had just the point for sale, though I'm not opposed to the whole packer haha
Thanks Electric 88 for the like!

This is the first time I have seen them there.

Good looking plate, nice job.
Thanks gator for the like and kind words

Nice looking brisket John, must have been a darned long day! Like, RAY
Thanks Ray for the like, and yes it was a long but rewarding day.... and I hit the sack early

Damn John, that looks REALLY good. As good or better than any I've seen here. Certainly carousel worthy!! Great job on the brisket but the whole meal looks fantastic.

Robert
Thanks Robert for the like and words of encouragement.

John

Yes, it looks like you got it dialed in. I also have done only one before (Al's method), this last Christmas. It turned out good. I couldn't quite get it probe tender due to time constraints but it worked. Have confidence to do again.

It appears the second time around was a charm!!! That looks fantastic!!! LIKE!!!
Thanks for the like and support creek.

13lb point? Seems like it was the point end with the flat attached. Anyway, looks like it turned out great.
That's what I thought as the sign over the case said point, but I checked the label and it definitely said "USDA Choice Point" I knew I should have taken a picture of the label. But the butcher could have been wrong, or as you said it did kinda look like a piece of flat on the right side if you look at the first picture closely. And I picked the biggest one in the case..... :emoji_wink:

Good looking brisket there. I too, am a fan of the point end.
Thanks Texas Cookin'

looks delicous John, that's a nice looking plate of food
Thanks for the like and nice comment Jim!

John

That's what I thought as the sign over the case said point, but I checked the label and it definitely said "USDA Choice Point" I knew I should have taken a picture of the label. But the butcher could have been wrong, or as you said it did kinda look like a piece of flat on the right side if you look at the first picture closely. And I picked the biggest one in the case.....

I think most butchers do not separate the point from the flat. What they commonly do is cut the packer in half (not exactly half) and sell the first cut flat, and the second cut which is the point and flat together. I usually see that labelled as the 'point cut'. The point cut is generally smaller than the flat cut, so at 13lbs, the full packer must have been a monster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky