• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello again everyone!
It's been hectic for me since I last checked in so I haven't made as much progress on my build as I would like but what can you do lol
I did end up getting my cement slab finished between all the rain we've been getting in MI and I'm moving on to placing my cinder blocks and building my firebox. I was originally planning on mortaring my cinder blocks together but that seems like a lot of work for a rookie with no masonry experience (other than pouring one cement slab for this project). A friend of mine recommended "3M Fire Block 10.1-oz Gray Paintable Cementitious Caulk" from Lowes. My question is will this actually work and is it toxic in any way? Can I use this fire proof caulk on my cinder blocks AND my firebox? I was planning to caulk everything together and then use non toxic furnace cement on the inside seems.

When I made a block structure, I laid the cement blocks tight against each other with an overlapping pattern alternating each tier. I then filled the blocks with general purpose concrete mix.

Refractory cement and regular concrete mortar are not the same and cannot be interchanged.

You can add some heat resistance to normal concrete through the use of added hydrated lime and a high temperature aggregate such as expanded clay pellets.

If you have the $$, I would suggest using stainless steel wires as your tension, anti-crack media versus chicken wire, etc...

004 Ash cleanout.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky