28 lbs of Meat prepped

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carolinadoug

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Prep for tomorrows feast started. 8.5lb pork butt for pulled pork, 8.5 lbs of Country spare ribs, 5.5 lbs of Beef Brisket and 5.5 lbs whole chicken ready for the smoker tomorrow morning - 5:30am start time. Meat Mitch for the win!  Best Whomp rub there is!

Cook Log:

4:18am MES on, Pork Butt on 3rd rack, fat side up, probe in....58* outside and i can hear the waves rolling in at the beach.  

4:45am MES up to 225*, PB IT at 40*

5:35am PB IT* 72*, apple juice spayed and more apple wood chips in the smoker.

6:50am PB IT 116*, more spray and wood....plus a little nap :)

7:25am PB IT 128* - should easily get to over 140 in 40.  

8:00am PB IT 138* - good looking color with rub and bark starting to form.  Going to be a gorgeous day here at the beach!  Next up - brisket.

9:05am PB IT 147*, sprayed some more apple juice and added some hickory chips for our new smoker guest....Brisket is on the lower rack.

10:08am PB IT 152*, hickory still going.  Brisket cooking away and the fat on the PB is melting into the pan

10:30am PB still at 152*, haven't started monitoring the Brisket yet (tried but mechanical thermo isn't working) Added the country spare ribs for a nice 3-2-1 plan.

11:50 Foiled the PB at an IT of 161*, probed the brisket - 148*, still have almost two hours till ribs get foiled.  Smells like Heaven!

Last edited:
Just wrote out my plan for timing tomorrow morning and what need to go on when, gets which thermo probe, gets foiled when ,etc.....but I'm still stuck on when to put the chicken in.

Going to have everything going at 225*.

pork butt at 5:30, foiled at 160*, pulled at 195-200* based on timing.  1 hr rest at least.

brisket at 9:30, foiled at 165*, pulled at 200* - based on the other half getting cooked last week, I'll be rested for an hour at least.

ribs - easy - going to 3-2-1 them but watch for temps as well - both on foiling as well as mid foil.  Going to finish high heat on the grill.

Chicken - was tempted to just toss it in around 1pm for a 6pm finish and 6:30 meal time - thoughts?  5.5lb bird - can always pull it mid smoke and push some heat in the oven to catch up as necessary....

thanks for the help!

I'd put the bird in for a few hours and finish in the oven at a higher temp. 225 for a bird that size may dry out on you.
Yeah, kinda what i was thinking.  Smoke for flavor, oven finish for taste and crispier skin, etc...  Thanks Cranky!

Thanks Al - looks like the pork will get over 140 pretty easily in the 4 hour danger zone....  Still mulling over how long to keep the chicken in the smoker for flavor, before pulling it and finishing in the oven.  Nothing worse than dry chicken!  

I'll be watching this.

You look like you want to keep spraying, that is going to make your cooking time go way longer.

Richie

with all of this meat going in at different times I am starting to think I may foil the butt - in the pan...ie. just cover the pan with foil once it hits about 160*.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm less concerned about thick bark vs. good pulled pork.  btw - I'd likely do the same with the brisket after it hits 170*

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky