25lb turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
how long should it take? and should i stuff the cavity? i've done whole chickens so this shouldn't be all that different other than time and size. 

usually i brine, then smoke at 300* till breast is IT 165. but having not done such a big bird i think i might need to stuff the cavity to ensure even cooking and i know i have to tent some foil over it after a few hours so it doesn't get too dark. but how long should this thing take so i can plan out serving.

this was a day after thanksgiving bird i bought for $10 so i am going to make it for some friends the day after christmas. 

I've done a 23 lb bird before, but I'm usually in the 325-350F range, with a spike to 400F or so toward the end of the cook.  Personally I never stuff turkeys.  For even smoking you can get a turkey cannon or turkey beer can rack, just leave out the beer can.  At 300F you are looking at about 5-6 hours roughly. 

I would spatchcock a turkey that big.
It will cook more evenly & get done quicker.

Al

Yep spatching the bird will get the bird done sooner and as mentioned it will cook evenly.

It is recommended that you you don't stuff a turkey if you are going to smoke it. Especially when using lower cooking temps.

I wouldn't smoke a bird that size under 325 degrees. If you go low and slow the meat could be in the danger zone longer than four hours. The skin will be better at that temp too.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky