250 gallon RF build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the smoke break

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Mississippi
Well...after several delays....I finally got to start on the build of my 250 gallon RF smoker. Had the tank for about a month, but between my wife being in the hospital....and my bands busy schedule...it's been hard to start on. This weekend finally gave me the chance. My friend, Shane, and I got an early start yesterday and got to work till about six...then the rain game down hard and we had to stop.

Got the FB opening cut, and the top of the door, along with the hinges before the rain. Wasn't much finished, but felt great to finally get the ball rolling.

I did take pictures... but gotta figure out how to post them.

Still trying to get the pics loaded but get some message saying "AJAX response unable to be parsed as valid JSON object". Hmmmmm

Looking good  That will be a nice size smoker

Gary

Keep us posted with lots of pictures. Since it is starting to cool down we will probably get started on another build soon.

Gary

Good start.  Yeah all them propane tanks have a lip of some kind where they weld the ball ends to the rolled plate. Keep working away and you'll be done before you know it!

Dave

Hey Gary,     No new pictures as of yet. Having to work on it as other work allows...lol. I do have a guy bringing me the metal to make the firebox, supposedly on Friday morning. I hope Friday evening or Sunday I can get more work on it. Saturday night's taken up by band gig, so that's out. Will post more pics if metal comes in.

I'm enjoying this build.... You have a fan watching from way up north. Photos, Photos, Photos because I'm an old guy!
Will do, Alaska. Thanks!!!    Was stationed in King Salmon back in the 90's...near Kodiak Island. Beautiful country up your way!!!

Well...they guy that was supposed to bring me the metal for my FB had some family issues....SO, no metal and no progress on the smoker this past weekend. Bummer!!!! Hopefully, he'll have it by this coming weekend....OR I can get some from another source. No gigs for the band this coming weekend, so I really want to get some smoker work done. I did find someone cutting two pear trees. Stopped by and helped out...I knew the man....and he let me have all the wood. Can't wait for it to season/dry and give it try.

ok which one took the first cut with the torch,and which one had the head start?lol would have been funny to have popped a paperbag behind the one cutting the first hole,jk good job so far!

ok which one took the first cut with the torch,and which one had the head start?lol would have been funny to have popped a paperbag behind the one cutting the first hole,jk good job so far!
Thankfully, Shane took the first cut....sucker!! The bag would've been hilarious, as he was nervous. I stood back a ways.... you know....um...not out of fear...er..um...but in case I needed to call 911. Lol.

Hopefully you will get your metal and can get started.

Gary

Well...metal didn't come in for FB..... the supplier had family emergency so will have to hold up getting that for a bit. Hopefully before next weekend I'll have it. I DID get offered two 250 gallon propane tanks for free...so possibility for more smokers in the future. LOL. Anyhow, after his football game, my son and I met Shane and got the door fully cut. BBQ and building smokers for BBQ is a GREAT way to spend time with your kids...and a chance to build something together. I will post today's pics when I get the chance.

One question...after we welded the hinges, and the flat stock across the top of the door.... we lowered the door back in place. The top of the door fit back perfectly...but the bottom of the door...only the last three inches or so, seemed to curl inwards slightly towards the inside of the tank. Don't think it will be too terrible to fix, but was definitely odd. Anyone had this happen?

Well...metal didn't come in for FB..... the supplier had family emergency so will have to hold up getting that for a bit. Hopefully before next weekend I'll have it. I DID get offered two 250 gallon propane tanks for free...so possibility for more smokers in the future. LOL. Anyhow, after his football game, my son and I met Shane and got the door fully cut. BBQ and building smokers for BBQ is a GREAT way to spend time with your kids...and a chance to build something together. I will post today's pics when I get the chance.

One question...after we welded the hinges, and the flat stock across the top of the door.... we lowered the door back in place. The top of the door fit back perfectly...but the bottom of the door...only the last three inches or so, seemed to curl inwards slightly towards the inside of the tank. Don't think it will be too terrible to fix, but was definitely odd. Anyone had this happen?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky