2020 Thanksgiving Dinner!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks fantastic Civil! A lot of work for sure, but well worth it in the long run. I have to make sure the MRs. doesn't see this, lol.

Came out nice . Any chance you're catching a reflection from the hood on the upper doors ?
I have a remote bat winged island in mine . Repainted it yesterday and going to make some new trim for it today . Just that simple project turned into a lot of work .
What brand fridge do you have ?

Looks fantastic Civil! A lot of work for sure, but well worth it in the long run. I have to make sure the MRs. doesn't see this, lol.
thanks MJB! I was at the big box store last night with the wife and we went into the cabinet section just because....when we came out my wife was really happy with me....gonna use that trick till it wears off!

Came out nice . Any chance you're catching a reflection from the hood on the upper doors ?
I have a remote bat winged island in mine . Repainted it yesterday and going to make some new trim for it today . Just that simple project turned into a lot of work .
What brand fridge do you have ?
Thanks Chop!

Yea I think the glare reflection is part of it but it’s just a little grayer and my wife wants a better grain match. The panels I have are the same grain patter on the left, ie the next vernier cut from the tree.

the fridge is a Samsung select zone. We got it from Costco ( on sale!). It’s the model right before they made it with a LCD touch screen......that doubled the price!

Looks great! Hope you run out of honey dos soon! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thanks Ryan.....and run out of honey dos...now that’s the funniest thing I’d heard!!! I’ll have a honey do list taped to the inside of my caskets when that time comes! LOL!

Last edited:
Kitchen looks Beautiful, Civil !!
I built over 100 Kitchens in my Shop, and they all had the grain going Vertically. I never saw one with Horizontal Grain, like yours, but it looks Great with that "Flush" style cabinet construction.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Kitchen looks Beautiful, Civil !!
I built over 100 Kitchens in my Shop, and they all had the grain going Vertically. I never saw one with Horizontal Grain, like yours, but it looks Great with that "Flush" style cabinet construction.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

thanks Bear! The horizontal is in huge with walnut now.....I looked at enough examples to
believe it would look good, but it was jumping in with both feet for sure! Over a 1000 sq feet of panel in these babies! I’m just glad we bought the sheets before the price jump!!!

thanks Bear! The horizontal is in huge with walnut now.....I looked at enough examples to
believe it would look good, but it was jumping in with both feet for sure! Over a 1000 sq feet of panel in these babies! I’m just glad we bought the sheets before the price jump!!!

I closed my shop more than 20 years ago, so I missed some newer things. My cabinets were all Face-Framed solid fronts, and 90% Red Oak, with a couple of Cherry, Maple, Birch, and Hickory here & there.
I sold mostly Natural Oak, and gave a discount for Nat Red Oak.

Bear

I closed my shop more than 20 years ago, so I missed some newer things. My cabinets were all Face-Framed solid fronts, and 90% Red Oak, with a couple of Cherry, Maple, Birch, and Hickory here & there.
I sold mostly Natural Oak, and gave a discount for Nat Red Oak.

Bear
This summer I’m going to help a friend build a set of face frames units out of Maple and shaker doors for his personal house. He builds custom homes and he doesn’t/won’t put the big shop ones in his own house. I have a table top kreg jig machine that has totally changed the need for a whole shop of full of clamps, glue, clam, and screw, then unclamp & keep working rather than wait for clamp time.

Last edited:
This summer I’m going to help a friend build a set of face frames units out of Maple and shaker doors for his personal house. He builds custom homes and he doesn’t/won’t put the big shop ones in his own house. I have a table top kreg jig machine that has totally changed the need for a whole shop of full of clamps, glue and screw, then keep working rather than wait for clamp time.

I'll take a 3/8" Double Dowel Joint over pocket joints any time.
And in a complete "One-Man" cabinet shop, there's never any waiting around for glue to dry. Everybody has their own opinion---I had a Buddy who thought "Wafers" were the best.
I only used about 3 pipe clamps, and they were just for frame assembly.

Bear

I'll take a 3/8" Double Dowel Joint over pocket joints any time.
And in a complete "One-Man" cabinet shop, there's never any waiting around for glue to dry. Everybody has their own opinion---I had a Buddy who thought "Wafers" were the best.
I only used about 3 pipe clamps, and they were just for frame assembly.

Bear

you aren’t going to get an argument out of me on a glued double dowel joint out of me!! They are the top, I was a dato, drawer ring and dowel trained WW.....they don’t make them like this anymore, sad to say not even me.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky