2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok folks, I talked with Master Built today. They sent me the below specs along with the manual (shows parts and locations ie. new air damper location, drip tray, etc...).  It appears as the drip tray is in the center bottom of the smoker now rather than the back.  The damper is on the side. Could not figure out how to upload manual or snap shot of parts.  If anyone wants, let me know how and I will upload.

Attached is the manual you requested. As I stated, it is the same dimensions as our current units in the market and below are some specs that may be helpful to you.

30‖ - 20070312 — SS Door w/ window

30‖ - 20070213 — All black unit no window

40‖ - 20070512 — SS Door w/ window

FEATURES:

Front control panel w/ blue LED display

Light under control panel illuminates when door is opened

Brighter and able to see food

No need to slide grates out

Side air damper — NEW feature for location & cross-flow for even air/heat flow

Door latch

Larger viewing window on door

Front access drip tray

Added side skirts with leveling feet for stability (4-5 screws)

Integrated wheels

SPECS:

800 & 1200 watt element

Front control panel w/ blue LED display

Helps when in direct sunlight

Flat top for placing of dishes/trays

LED has 10,000 hours and cannot be purchased in retailer (should never have to be re-placed — 300 lumens)

Heating will start at 35° up to 300°

Great for cold smoking

Cold smoker can be used, but is NOT needed

430 grade stainless steel

Approximate weight as previous units (52 lbs-30” and 72lbs 40”)

Slight change in wood chip loader design

One single tube to prevent from ―catching

Will hold slightly more chips

Grease deflector tray

Grease slides @ 5° down to grease pan

Added bracket & deflector will protect element

Door will open on right side of smoker (most people are right-handed)

Does not swing open

NEW side hinge instead of on top

4 screws slide forward or pivot (for adjusting)

Bottom stationary hinge to not be moved

Polyurethane foam insulation

That looks awesome. Does anybody have any idea when it will be available.  I know Cabela's is at about 7 weeks backordered

Thx for all the info

I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new MES 40s. I sold my MES 30 and I have been looking around at stores hoping to find the new style 40. I hope someone will post when they start seeing them in stores.

So is there anything in particular that would be  worth waiting to get the new model?

I'm looking to purchase my first MES.  When I look at the specs and try to compare the two nothing jumps out at me but maybe those of

you that own an mes now see something about the new model that looks extremely attractive.

Last edited:
So is there anything in particular that would be  worth waiting to get the new model?

I'm looking to purchase my first MES.  When I look at the specs and try to compare the two nothing jumps out at me but maybe those of

you that own an mes now see something about the new model that looks extremely attractive.

I'm most interested in the new venting paradigm and the new drip tray.

Current venting is not adequate as it produces a hot spot. I have no info on the drip tray.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The current drip tray is behind the unit. The new one appears to slide out from in front. Seems like it would be more convenient.

If the new set up gets rid of the hot spot, that will be a big plus.

Thanks for the input guys.  Based on the cost difference I think im going to pony up the money at sams for the old model. 

Cost difference??? Last I heard its going to be the same price? If your talking about the cabalas one, it's always been higher than sams

Cost difference??? Last I heard its going to be the same price? If your talking about the cabalas one, it's always been higher than sams
With the exception of right before Christmas the Cabela's MES40 was/is $449 where the Sam's MES40 (2011 model) has been $299 for many months...JJ

Ya I know, cabalas has always been higher than sams and its going to be the same way with the new one too. I'm not sure where the idea that the new one is going to be more expensive came from. Its going to be the same price.

With the exception of right before Christmas the Cabela's MES40 was/is $449 where the Sam's MES40 (2011 model) has been $299 for many months...
The Cabela's model has an all stainless steel exterior while the Sam's model has only a stainless steel door with the rest of the exterior black (don't know if it is painted black or if it is a black metal).  This probably explains part of the price difference.

I got the Cablela's model because I liked the looks of the all stainless steel exterior so much that I thought it worth the extra cost. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
The Cabela's model has an all stainless steel exterior while the Sam's model has only a stainless steel door with the rest of the exterior black (don't know if it is painted black or if it is a black metal).  This probably explains part of the price difference.

I got the Cablela's model because I liked the looks of the all stainless steel exterior so much that I thought it worth the extra cost. Just my opinion...
If you got the All Stainless model from Cabela's then the part number in your signiture is wrong. The all SS model # is 20070311. I bought mine from Cabela's just before Christmas for $ 329.99. A week later the price was back to $449 and were backorderable, been that way since...I'm really happy with it...JJ

If you got the All Stainless model from Cabela's then the part number in your signiture is wrong. The all SS model # is 20070311. I bought mine from Cabela's just before Christmas for $ 329.99. A week later the price was back to $449 and were backorderable, been that way since...I'm really happy with it...JJ

There must have been multiple "all stainless" MES40 models sold by Cabela's in the past. I got mine at Cabela's in 2011 and the tag on the back of the unit shows that the model  number is 20070710. I doubt that this matters to anyone but I just thought I would clarify this.

4834fdbf_Smokerserialnumbertag.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw the new MES40 at Sam's today. It comes with a remote and temperature gauge too boot. Not sure if the older models had these options. I don't pay much attention since I am a wood and charcoal smoker....But $299 for the MES40 seems like a pretty good deal. Lots of room for smoking in these units....
439.gif

The one at sames says "New..." all over it, and I was fooled too, but unless things have changed, it is the 2011 model, not the new one with the temp controls in the front... unless they finally did get the new one, but as of last week in the Bay Area of CA, it was the older one

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky