2 Turkey Breasts for Tomorrow. 1 Fried & 1 Smoked (MES30) Halp!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ostrichsak

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to smoking as I got my first smoker this summer (MES 30) and have done quite a few smokes since.  I've never done a turkey breast in one and tomorrow is the big day.  Last year I fried a turkey breast a couple weeks in advance to practice and this year the schedule just didn't allow for it.  So, give me some quick pro tips if you can help me out.  I plan to fry one in my fryer and then smoke the second one in the MES30.  Both are about 7.5lbs and bone-in & are in the fridge for a couple of days now thawing out.  I just double checked and they still feel pretty solid so that may be our first hurdle to clear.  I should have taken them out of the freezer sooner but my time mucheen is all out of beer cans and banana peels.

Do I need to brine them?  I see a lot of people doing that but I wasn't planning to brine.  I was just going to hit the turkey with some of the yellow mustard & dry rub I use for my pulled pork and probably smoke w/applewood chips.  Is there a reason this wouldn't work?  What should my smoker temp be?  I think I saw someone said 275deg.  What should my target cook temp be?  I think I read 160deg is what you want for turkey but could use some input here as these are turkey breasts so I would imagine they don't necessarily need to be cooked as warm as a full turkey.  About how long should this take overall?

Any tips on the fried one?  I think last year I just tossed it on the fryer but maybe get a little more creative with it this year?  Do some sort of breading or seasoning or something?

Lastly, should I try to get this done before we eat (noon) so that it can rest like the Boston Butts I smoke?

I'm about to run some errands so if there's something I need to stop by the sore and grab I can do that as well.

Thanks for the help!

Scratch that, no brine for the frying.  Duh.  I want that puppy dry before it gets anywhere near hot oil.

Looks like for a better skin I want my smoker to be more like 325-375deg?

Your correct about the skin...The MES only goes to 275..thats my problem as well...Im gunna smoke at 250 until 150IT then throw it in a 400deg oven until it hits a 165 IT to crisp up the skin.

Your correct about the skin...The MES only goes to 275..thats my problem as well...Im gunna smoke at 250 until 150IT then throw it in a 400deg oven until it hits a 165 IT to crisp up the skin.
Just do a rub then?  Foil or no foil?  About how long do you think the whole process will take?  Can you estimate the time in smoker and oven?  Still trying to decide when I need to get this whole party started.  I think I'm good on the fryer as I still have my notes from last year I'll just start it a lot earlier than I did but I don't really know on the smoker or smoker/oven combo.

For the Fried turkey breast  I have alway injected my birds with creole butter.  I have found it to be really good.   I am smoking breast tomorrow and I injected it with creole butter.  It is ab out 7 pounds and I plan to smoke around 240 - 250 and plan on around about 3 hours to 160 IT.

For the Fried turkey breast  I have alway injected my birds with creole butter.  I have found it to be really good.   I am smoking breast tomorrow and I injected it with creole butter.  It is ab out 7 pounds and I plan to smoke around 240 - 250 and plan on around about 3 hours to 160 IT.
So you're using the smoker the entire time and thinking it should take about three hours?  Do you let it rest afterwards?  How long?  Foil & towels in a cooler or ??

Also, should I run it up to 275deg or do you prefer the 240-250deg range for a more moist/tender bird?  Just wondering if Low & Slow applies to turkey too.

Check these out, one is a brine and one is an injection, both will smoke the same as your breasts.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152772/basic-brined-smoked-chicken

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147498/smoked-turkey-a-bds-tribute

Hope it help you. Have a Happy happy and enjoy the smoke!
Those both look amazing.  I'm afraid that I'm not going to have time for either brine or injection at this point... well, maybe the injection but I'm not sure what ingredients I have here and if I want to go back into town again tonight since I just went in a few hours ago.  I may just have to make due what the ingredients I have here and I'll try to plan a little bit better next time.  At this point I'm just hoping they'll be thawed out by morning.

I use the lower temp because if give me a better smoke flavor.   One note is the skin at lower temps ends up very rubbery.  I am OK with the rubber skin I just pull it off.  Also befor smoking I also pull the skin up and rub my rub under the skin.  If you are looking to get the great crispy skin like out of the oven I have never been able to do that on a smoke.

I use the lower temp because if give me a better smoke flavor.   One note is the skin at lower temps ends up very rubbery.  I am OK with the rubber skin I just pull it off.  Also befor smoking I also pull the skin up and rub my rub under the skin.  If you are looking to get the great crispy skin like out of the oven I have never been able to do that on a smoke.
Roger that.  May consider a brief stint in the oven to try to crisp up the skin but I'm not so sure anyone will even eat it.  It's not all that healthy and I don't think too many people who will be eating would care if I just pulled it off and chucked it.

Along those lines, should I just pull it and rub the bare meat before smoking or leave it on to help seal in some of da juicy?

Im smoking my turkey breast (~7lbs bone in) at 225 for the whole time. I brined it and wrapped it in prosciutto to help keep it moist. I also give it a spray of apple juice now and then when I add more wood. I have a MES30 btw.  I do this every year and it turns out awesome every time.  Have a great Thanksgiving and happy smoking! 

~Michael

Thanks for the posts everyone. Ended up setting the smoker to 250-260deg & when it hit 160 I pulled it from the smoker. It then joined the fried Turkey which had been in a cooler foiled & toweled for a couple if hours in the oven. Set the temp to 350deg, turned in the convection fan & let them crisp up for about 20-30min. In the future I would probably use a higher heat & less time for this step. I will also inject the fried turkey w/a herb & butter injection and then brine the smoked turkey for a few days beforehand.

Fortunately I've got a few breasts to practice w/over the next couple of months. When I got up at 6:00am this morning the breasts which had been in the fridge since Monday were still frozen, one was solid. I called around & luckily found a store that had 2 fresh breasts so the day was saved! That Gould's been disastrous but luckily crisis was averted. Next time I'll get them out sooner & the brined one will thaw more quickly most likely anyway.

Thanks again & Happy Turkey day everyone!

i haven't read through all of the advice given in this post but I do brine my turkey breast for about 8 - 12 hours.  Then a light sprinkling with Tony C's.

I prefer to use my WSM and smoke at 350* until the meat hits 165*.

Since you're using the MES, I would smoke it until it gets to 150* then put it in the oven at 350*.  The reason why is, to get that nice crispy skin. 

I have both the MES & WSM.  I rarely use the MES for poultry because it only goes to 275 and I like to do poultry at a higher temperature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky