2 stalls 1 cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Raven T

Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Hey all, I did 2 8lb butts and they took forever due to having 2 stalls. I'm a big fan of just push through and maintain temps but I was wondering if this is common? Everyone knows the stall at 160ish but I had a 2.5 hour stall at 140 and then a second 4+ hour stall at 165. I ran temps around 230-250. The entire cook just under 18 hours and mind you I have a cheaper stick burner so I literally stood next to it the whole time. It was a humid day so I'm not sure how much that plays into it and both butts did it so I think it was something I did just don't know what.

Sometimes that happens.
Could it be that you were running the smoker at a lower temp than you think, cause at 225, 16-18 hours is about right.

Al

Sometimes that happens.
Could it be that you were running the smoker at a lower temp than you think, cause at 225, 16-18 hours is about right.

Al

Possible but I did put a new temp gauge in for this cook but maybe it was 250 higher on the lid but actually less lower down. I replaced the thermometer because the last cook took 18 hours as well. Regardless, it was a pain in the butt (pun intended) but the end product was awesome. As we all know, it's done when it's done.

Even three stalls isn't unusual. I've seen the low stalls at 138-140F that lasted quite long, the main stall at 155-165F which can go for hours, and another stall at 185-195F, though it is usually pretty short, like an hour.

Don't be surprised to see dropping temps in a stall too, especially if you take the meat out to wrap it.

Even three stalls isn't unusual. I've seen the low stalls at 138-140F that lasted quite long, the main stall at 155-165F which can go for hours, and another stall at 185-195F, though it is usually pretty short, like an hour.

Don't be surprised to see dropping temps in a stall too, especially if you take the meat out to wrap it.
Ahhh, I didn't know that but it makes sense. I was assuming it was the fat content of the butts. "I like big butts and I cannot lie". :-)

I've been stuck at around 155 internal temp on an 11 pound pork butt for at least the last two and half hours. Anything I can do? Cooking at 225, bumped up to 235.

You're stalled. Quite normal. On an 11 lb butt at 225F chamber temp, you could be looking at 6-8 hours of a stall.

I smoke my 8-10 lb butts overnight at 225F. They usually reach the stall in 3-5 hours, depending on size. When I wake up the next morning, usually 12-13 hours into the cook, the butt is usually just coming out of the stall.

I just did an 8.43 lb butt last week, no wrapping. When I woke up the next morning it was still at 155F. Cranked the temp up to 275F to finish the cook. It finished 7 hours later at 205F IT, a total of 19 hours.

That's why I just put the temp gauge towards the end of the cook so I don't even have to think if it's stalling. I stick it in a little before I think it's done. I just did a butt at 275 and it was super tender. I only cook steaks and small stuff at a low temp like 200-225. Big pieces no way. 250-275

You're stalled. Quite normal. On an 11 lb butt at 225F chamber temp, you could be looking at 6-8 hours of a stall.

I smoke my 8-10 lb butts overnight at 225F. They usually reach the stall in 3-5 hours, depending on size. When I wake up the next morning, usually 12-13 hours into the cook, the butt is usually just coming out of the stall.

I just did an 8.43 lb butt last week, no wrapping. When I woke up the next morning it was still at 155F. Cranked the temp up to 275F to finish the cook. It finished 7 hours later at 205F IT, a total of 19 hours.

Lol that's a bit long for my patience..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky