2 questions: Keeping temp in cold weather and propane smoker reccomendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greenboy222

Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Pittsburgh ( Munhall), PA
Hello all,

I live in Pittsburgh and I am missing smoking. Let's say avg 20-25 degrees in winter. I have a chargriller with side box I use. I was wondering if anyone else smokes in cold weather?

Second, I am looking into purchasing a propane vertical smoke. Any reccommendations for one without breaking the bank?

Thank you all!!!!

Set up a good wind block and you can smoke in about any temp. It will take more fuel.

As far as which smoker to buy How much do you want to spend? How many people will you be smoking for? What is your price range? I would spend the day reading reviews. Then after you find something you like use the search bar and read more.

Happy smoken.

David

Thanks Mule. I have been looking at different ones. When I smoke, I am usually doing enough for just me and my family, maybe a few friends as well.( either A pork butt, brisket, turkey breast) . I was looking at the Masterbuilts. They are around 200 bucks and have room in case I want to smoke a lot of diffent things but can also do just one thing as well.

Greenboy--

I'm a newbie too... just got started with my new smoker last weekend.  I'm pretty happy with my propane smoker, and if you want to see it, ceck out my posts from that cook here:  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...-smoke-three-questions-please/40#post_1306134

This smoker was purchased from Sams Club for under $300.

Two distinct features that I liked about it, and that made me as for that particular model:  (1) it has a separate door for the meat and wood-chip areas, so you can add wood chips without opening the main door and thus loosing all of your heat and smoke. (2) it has two burners which should allow for better temp control. 

I decided to add a needle valve to it because I was able to get my temps down in the 220-260 range by using only one of the two burners, I wanted to be able to get the temps even lower so that I could burn both at the same time to get even more smoke.  I haven't tried it yet with the needle valve...

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good smoker. It's much better than my last LP smoker.

Good Luck!

Go Steelers!

Rob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky