2 MORE DAYS on the SANTA MARIA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"https://gabbysgrills.com/"

Well bummer....sort of. I love the idea of what they have done and the high accolades coming from Al go a long way with me. Went to the site and didn't find what I was hoping to find. I've got too many cookers already (if there is such a thing) and can't justify buying a Weber kettle so was looking to see if they had one built for an XL BGE. It would be perfect but alas, did not see anything like that. I may have to break out the metal fabricating tools today, make a run to the hardware store, and see about building one of these for the Egg. Might be a fun little project.

Putting on the thinking cap,
Robert

"https://gabbysgrills.com/"

Well bummer....sort of. I love the idea of what they have done and the high accolades coming from Al go a long way with me. Went to the site and didn't find what I was hoping to find. I've got too many cookers already (if there is such a thing) and can't justify buying a Weber kettle so was looking to see if they had one built for an XL BGE. It would be perfect but alas, did not see anything like that. I may have to break out the metal fabricating tools today, make a run to the hardware store, and see about building one of these for the Egg. Might be a fun little project.

Putting on the thinking cap,
Robert

That would be a fun project!
What is the diameter of the Egg?
Cause I know they make several different sizes.
Al

Looks like you are having a great time with your new set-up. Like

Jealous of the greenness...10F and everything covered with ice here. Beautiful, but freezing freaking cold.

"That would be a fun project!
Cause I know they make several different sizes."

Now I didn't get a ton of time to look into things. As I was digging into the different options I was summoned by The One Who Controls The Purse Strings informing me that she was hungry and asked that I please make breakfast. The largest thing I saw in my brief research was for a 22" kettle cooker. That's not to say there isn't a larger one offered, I just didn't see it. The Egg is 26 3/8" OD, 24 3/8" ID, and the wall thickness is 1". There is however the steel band around the outside that supports the side shelves, hinges, etc. Including that band, the OD is 26 5/8".

Gonna figger something out....
Robert

Very nice!!

Thank-you!
Al

First just the SM. Want to have it before summer. Then eventually the rotisserie. I have an electric rotiss and its good but i think that set up would be so much better. I wonder if u can raise or lower that as well.

I think you will be happy with the SM, don't know much about the roti!
Al

Looks like you are having a great time with your new set-up. Like

Jealous of the greenness...10F and everything covered with ice here. Beautiful, but freezing freaking cold.

Thanks Eddie!
Yea I had to put a photo of the yard in there.
I know you guys are having a tough winter, hope your thru the worst of it!
Al

"That would be a fun project!
Cause I know they make several different sizes."

Now I didn't get a ton of time to look into things. As I was digging into the different options I was summoned by The One Who Controls The Purse Strings informing me that she was hungry and asked that I please make breakfast. The largest thing I saw in my brief research was for a 22" kettle cooker. That's not to say there isn't a larger one offered, I just didn't see it. The Egg is 26 3/8" OD, 24 3/8" ID, and the wall thickness is 1". There is however the steel band around the outside that supports the side shelves, hinges, etc. Including that band, the OD is 26 5/8".

Gonna figger something out....
Robert

Well I know he makes one for the 26 Weber, but if I had the tools I think it would be a lot of fun to make one myself.
The only problem I see with using the Egg is the charcoal grate is a lot lower than in a kettle. You need to have the fire close to the grate, the flames just need to be licking the meat.
Al

I have the Gabby SM attachment and also can attest to it. I burn oak most of the time. Great way to reverse sear some steaks. Did some 1 1/2 inch thick Tomahawk ribeyes the other night. Had it raised fairly high till they reached 110 and then lowered down close to the nice bed of oak coals for the sear. Before she finished Eating she asked when I was going to do them again.

Reactions: Winterrider
Sheesh---I gotta stay away from this Thread:
First Al was making me Jealous---Now you're all doing it!!!

Bear

Bear

To add insult to injury: the Tomahawk Ribeyes:
upload_2019-2-9_16-6-9.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-9_16-5-51.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-9_16-5-51.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 16
I have the Gabby SM attachment and also can attest to it. I burn oak most of the time. Great way to reverse sear some steaks. Did some 1 1/2 inch thick Tomahawk ribeyes the other night. Had it raised fairly high till they reached 110 and then lowered down close to the nice bed of oak coals for the sear. Before she finished Eating she asked when I was going to do them again.

Bear

To add insult to injury: the Tomahawk Ribeyes:
View attachment 387604

Those are some fine looking steaks my friend!
I have a 45 day dry aged ribeye that is going on it for Valentines Day!
Al

Neat !!! Looks Delish my Floridian Friend

Gary

Great looking pictures Al. I won’t see a day like that for at least 4 more months. Definitely jealous.

Congrats on the SM grill! Now you just need to throw a tri tip on it.

Great looking pictures Al. I won’t see a day like that for at least 4 more months. Definitely jealous.

Congrats on the SM grill! Now you just need to throw a tri tip on it.

Thanks Buddy!
TT's are hard to come by in these parts, I can order one from our local grocery store, but they are pricey.
I was going to do a ribeye on it tomorrow, but since it's only 1 steak, I figured I'd go with my tried & true method, of SV'ing it, then a searzall for the sear. I may try a rack of ribs on it next, I bet they'd be pretty good with that char on them. Who knows I may fire it up for that ribeye. We just love the char on the chicken! So I bet a ribeye would be just as good or better. It just seems like a lot of work & fuel for 1 steak though. But it's not like I have anything better to do! Maybe I'll cook 2 steaks & use the leftovers for fajitas the next day. That makes more sense, at least I'm cooking a little more stuff! You know come to think of it, I bet a fattie would be fantastic on that thing, maybe I'll do a fattie & 1 steak!
Oh well as you can tell, I'm having a lot of fun with this thing!!
Al

Thanks Buddy!
TT's are hard to come by in these parts, I can order one from our local grocery store, but they are pricey.
I was going to do a ribeye on it tomorrow, but since it's only 1 steak, I figured I'd go with my tried & true method, of SV'ing it, then a searzall for the sear. I may try a rack of ribs on it next, I bet they'd be pretty good with that char on them. Who knows I may fire it up for that ribeye. We just love the char on the chicken! So I bet a ribeye would be just as good or better. It just seems like a lot of work & fuel for 1 steak though. But it's not like I have anything better to do! Maybe I'll cook 2 steaks & use the leftovers for fajitas the next day. That makes more sense, at least I'm cooking a little more stuff! You know come to think of it, I bet a fattie would be fantastic on that thing, maybe I'll do a fattie & 1 steak!
Oh well as you can tell, I'm having a lot of fun with this thing!!
Al

It definitely looks like a lot of fun! And you’re right, you might as well load it up so you don’t waste the fuel.

Meatloaf would sound good on it too, but it sounds like you’re gonna have great leftovers to keep you going.

Speaking of tri tip, I got my local butcher to order a case. It’s $6 a lb....much better than the $13 I paid over the summer...so there’s more TT cooks in the future.

It definitely looks like a lot of fun! And you’re right, you might as well load it up so you don’t waste the fuel.

Meatloaf would sound good on it too, but it sounds like you’re gonna have great leftovers to keep you going.

Speaking of tri tip, I got my local butcher to order a case. It’s $6 a lb....much better than the $13 I paid over the summer...so there’s more TT cooks in the future.

That is a good deal for TT, at least for around here.
The last one's I bought were $9 lb, and I can get ribeyes for that!
Al

Well just stop it guys. I see and I want but can't have every cooking toy! Looks like a great addition to your arsenal Al. It's got me thinking..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky