2 butts cooked at the same time, same method, different results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2Scoops

Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for any ideas/thoughts on this as I’m scratching my head a bit. I’m still pretty new to this (5th smoke) and so far really thrilled with the results on butts and ribs. Last night was a bit of a weird deal so wanted some insight.

Placed an order for an 8-9lb butt at local grocery store and wife did the curbside pickup and came home with two 4-pounders. No worries, I injected them with Lilly’s injection, then mustard and rub per usual. MB Gravity 1050 set to 225 and we’re off and running. Signals probe in both of them.

They stalled around 155 so I wrapped them for about an hour then unwrapped once it broke through 170. First time doing this. At about 185 internal temp the MB stopped working (posted a diff thread about this) and put them in the oven unwrapped to finish at 250 degrees. Pulled them out when the probe was tender and internal temps were 202.

One of them turned out amazing. As juicy as I’ve ever had, great bark, etc. The other one was as dry as could be. It’s not inedible but nowhere near the same texture . I couldn’t believe the difference between the two since I followed the same process for both. They ran within 2-3 degrees of each other the entire time.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? Thanks all!

Reactions: kruizer
Thank you for the affirmation! I didn’t want to assume it was out of my control so wanted to double check.

The good news is it wasn’t inedible so used it for BBS quesadillas and saved some for future nachos.

Thank you for the affirmation! I didn’t want to assume it was out of my control so wanted to double check.

The good news is it wasn’t inedible so used it for BBS quesadillas and saved some for future nachos.
It is always good to save the juices from the smoke and add it to the final product. It adds flavor and moisture to the meat.

I always add a finishing sauce to my pulled pork. Not really for dryness but for flavor. It would help with a dry one though for sure. The recipe I follow is a popular one on here.
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes.
Heat the vinegar enough to melt the brown sugar then mix in the other. I usually put it in a squeeze bottle and use as needed. I like to mix it in with warm PP right after I pull it.

2-4 pound Butts means they were either from the same Butt cut in half. The meat near the bone has less Fat than the Money Muscle End that's against the Spine. So a single Butt will range from a bit dry, in some areas and Magical Moist in others...OR...The two pieces were from different animals and then it's the Luck of the Draw...JJ

I always add a finishing sauce to my pulled pork. Not really for dryness but for flavor. It would help with a dry one though for sure. The recipe I follow is a popular one on here.
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes.
Heat the vinegar enough to melt the brown sugar then mix in the other. I usually put it in a squeeze bottle and use as needed. I like to mix it in with warm PP right after I pull it.

I like this recipe a lot so will try it next time regardless of the outcome.

I reheated the dry meat in a little bit of applesauce and then applied sauce afterwards and it was still really good.

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky