1st time ribs in progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oxjockey

Original poster
May 9, 2008
My first real post - I'm using the Brinkmann Gourmet Deluxe and it looks like it's too hot. (This goofy "Ideal" gauge has to go)

This is at two hours into the 3-2-1:

first_ribs.jpg

I rotated them around so the middle would be where that hot spot was on the right, but other than that - is it going OK?

Looks fine so far, you are getting some nice pull back from the end of the bone. How do you know if it's too hot? First purchase should be a good thermometer with actual numbers on it. The one that come with it is worthless. Good luck.

I was just thinking it was pulling back too far for being @ two hours. No clue otherwise. ;) I've kept the heat at or just below the I in Ideal.

Thanks!

there are so many conditions that can effect your time. 2hrs may be alright??

Pick up the rib with tongs and see what kind of bend when you hold them out horizonilly. Should be around 90 degrees.

Looking pretty good so far. I thought the same when I first made a rib attempt. I thought this has been on for half of forever and is going to be dry as a well diggers arse. I was wrong.

Ron is right, got to have good thermometers for grate and meat temp.

Thanks, I'm over three now and it hasn't pulled back enough so far, so I'm doing OK.

I have the meat thermometer (left over from the grill) but I didn't realize it wasn't a graduated deal when I ordered it. Oh well, I've been searching and I'll find something before next time.

BTW. I'm starving.
biggrin.gif

Lookin good so fer. I would diffenetly be a purchassin some new digital thermo's! I got 3 ain't enough fer todays smoke! Get ya one fer the smoker temp and at least one fer each type meat yer gonna smoke on one run.

I got a Maverick remote unit fer smoker temp, that'n way saves me some runnin out to the cooker to check that.

Good luck on yer smoke, and may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

From the picture at two hours, I'd say they are right on target for wrapping at three hours. Also, I totally agree that you need to get some good digital thermos. As mentioned is an earlier post, you'll need one for the grid surface and then another for each type of meat that you plan to smoke at the same time. Good luck and be sure to let us know how the final product turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky