1st Time picnic shoulder!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimh64

Original poster
I have read on here several times about smoking a picnic shoulder but was hesitant. Boy am I glad I tried it!

Based on suggestions here,, I trimmed off the skin. Man, there was a lot of it! I then trimmed most of the fat.

I started up my 30mes and set it at 225. My maverick thermometer is acting up and won't read the temperature of the smoker, so I relied on the built in thermometer..

I put it in at 10pm with hickory chips and went to bed. At 8:30am I woke up and checked my maverick and it said 194 degrees! Whoo Hoo, almost done! I let it go to 202 and took it out... I never foiled it until I took it out and then I let it rest for an hour... best pulled pork I made so far!

Here are a couple pictures!

Yep, That looks great. How was the rub, I have them now and will be making some when I get home for spring as well.

Yep, That looks great. How was the rub, I have them now and will be making some when I get home for spring as well.
The rub is awesome,,,the bark was great and the smoke really penetrated the meat.  I forgot to mention in my post that it took about 11 hours to finish it...It was a little over 9lbs I think.

I used yellow mustard and put a bunch of rub on it and let it sit for around 3 hours.  I forgot to put it on the night before, which is even better!

Nice looking butt,love that bark!
drool.gif
:
Thanks!
beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky