1st time Chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All

I'm thinking about trying to smoke a chuck roast for a change of pace.. Didn't have much luck with my 5 briskets, plus can't find any big/packer briskets around any more.Briskets came out tender n tasty but on the dry side..Can I use the same approch for the chuckie, as I used for the briskets. Smoke till 160* then foil till 200, and do the tooth pick test?

Thanks Dan

Dan, Chuck Roasts are really better pulled mainly because when they are laying flat the meat is made of short vertical muscle fibers that does not lend itself well to slicing. That is why they are frequently made into Pot Roast. Unless you can get a whole or half Chuck Eye Roll, that is part of the Chuck closest to the Rib and like a Rib Roasts, it can be smoked and sliced, there are better choices. But be aware that Brisket is Smoked until Very Well done and the collagen breaks down making it tender. Just about any other cut will be Dog Food smoked past 140*, 150*F TOPS! You will want them on the Rare side of Medium for the juiciest and most tender eating...JJ

H iChef Jimmy, I'm almost sure I can a get a Chuck Eye roll..Will look for It next time I go shopping for meat.Got to be easier then  a brisket.

Thanks Dan

Hi All I've seen the clods at Restaurant depot. They are a BIG piece of meat 20/25 lbs..Wish I could trim/cut it like in some of the vedio's I've seen, get some hangar steaks and other cuts. Also looking at Chuck Eye/Chuck Rolls, another BIG piece of meat. I haven't much luck with the Brisket, they come out tasty n tender but on the dry side.Tried all of the different methods with pretty much the same results.
Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky