1st Post/intro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zmaxa86

Original poster
Jun 24, 2016
IL
Well hello all. The name is Zach. Been que-ing now for 10 yrs. I have found that it has provided some great therapy after I was discharged from the Corps.

I currently have an Oklahoma Joe (longhorn) that I modified to be a reverse flow. Just yesterday I attached a guru and found it was the best cook I have ever done.

Again, hello and hope the my presence is welcome.

Welcome from another Marine, Zach! I've found that reading through some of these posts is good hunger therapy, as well. Lots of great ideas, info and general BS. What did you do in the Corps?

welcome1.gif

Welcome from another Marine, Zach! I've found that reading through some of these posts is good hunger therapy, as well. Lots of great ideas, info and general BS. What did you do in the Corps?
:welcome1:

I was a combat engineer

Awesome...I was an F/A-18 mechanic for most of my time. Spent a few years as a recruiter, as well. Retired about 3 years ago and moved out to TX.

I haven't messed with reverse flow smoking...are there any noticeable differences in the quality of the food?

Awesome...I was an F/A-18 mechanic for most of my time. Spent a few years as a recruiter, as well. Retired about 3 years ago and moved out to TX.

I haven't messed with reverse flow smoking...are there any noticeable differences in the quality of the food?

Well it is my belief that it's the quality of the cook that makes quality food. On an offset stick burner like mine the reverse flow helps me maintain temp from end to end. My difference is 10-15 degrees. That just means I don't need open the hatch to rotate food, keeping the meat more moist as well. In the near future I think I'm going to upgrade to a big boy smoker (stumps).

We just moved to the new place in TX about two weeks ago. I had a Chargriller Duo with the side firebox that I was using in SC for a few years, but I left it to a friend. I just picked up a new WSM 22.5 that is awesome, but I do miss having a big smoker in the backyard. I'll get another one soon. My wife just has different ideas for the family finances than I do. LOL. She still kinda treats me like a Marine now that I think about it...She wants me to get the damn job done but doesn't wanna give me the tools and resources that I need to do it!

wtf1.gif

We just moved to the new place in TX about two weeks ago. I had a Chargriller Duo with the side firebox that I was using in SC for a few years, but I left it to a friend. I just picked up a new WSM 22.5 that is awesome, but I do miss having a big smoker in the backyard. I'll get another one soon. My wife just has different ideas for the family finances than I do. LOL. She still kinda treats me like a Marine now that I think about it...She wants me to get the damn job done but doesn't wanna give me the tools and resources that I need to do it!

:wtf1:

I just stash the cash away little by little and tell my wife I won a raffle. That how I bought most of my firearms and how I plan on getting my stumps. LoL. Even in the corps we found a way to get things done.... Got to get creative.

Reactions: jarhead1979
texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a 86º day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky