1st Pork Butt w/ Q

Discussion in 'Pork' started by njsmoker83, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys, doing my first Butt tomorrow morning. Went to the butcher after work and got a 10 pound Bone in Butt. I’m going to do the following let me know what you think:

Friday

1000 pm – Rub Applied

Going to start on Saturday at 500am

Trying for WSM at 250-240

Fat side down

Hickory and Apple Chunks

At 100 degrees spray every hour with apple juice

Foil at 165

Remove at 195-205 towel and cooler for an hour

Then finishing sauce

I am trying to follow the sticky as best as possible.  No injections and no pan.  Never did a smoke this long…. Wish me luck

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Patience,my man.Them Butts can take more of your time than you want to invest,like Marriage[​IMG]

3. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

I'm sure  it will work out great.

4. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

Looks great, I'm hungry!

5. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a good plan, Keep the Q-view coming.

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]

7. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Slide over Al---This is going to be a good one!!!!

[​IMG]    [​IMG]

Bear

8. Well didnt start out so good this morning.  Woke up 430 started chimney at 445.  Meat was on at 515 with smoker at 210.  by 610am smoker was at 270 which is not good  Butt was already at 113.  I dumped all the coals, started from scratch and now at 700am am at 230 smoker and 121 butt.  hopefully this didnt ruin my first attempt.  I knew i put too much lit charcoals in the chimney.  Oh well all I can do now is wait.

9. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That should not have hurt a thing----Smoke On.........................

You're in good shape!

Bear

10. Thanks for the support.  I am at 3 hours in and smoker at 225 steady (thank God) and the Butt is at 147.  Im a little nervous that it is going way too quick so hopefully it works out well.  Spraying it every half hour with apple juice.

11. larrym

larrym Meat Mopper

Have had a couple same size take different times.  Go with the internal temp and you will be fine.

12. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

My first one I did shot up pretty quick too so don't worry at all, you should be fine if you take it to 205 then let it mellow out for a little while in a cooler like you were planning!  Looking great!!

13. socalbbq

socalbbq Fire Starter

Sounds like your plan is coming together, nice.  I might suggest keeping your temp probe in while you have butt resting in the cooler and if able, keep in cooler as long as you can.  It really makes a difference allowing the meat to rest longer.  I typically shoot for 2 hours, but have read where other members leave in cooler much longer.  Good luck and it looks like your on your way to the first of many successful butts!  Not sure that came out right, enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  14. I've not done a huge butt, just little ones that took only about 4-5 hours.

Like LarryM said, stay with IT and you should be good to go and let that

baby rest as long as possible.

James

15. 930am - Smoker at 230 - Butt at 154

at 165 putting it in heavy tin and wrapping top with foil

[​IMG]

16. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good looking good!

17. bought an extra probe at Home Depot while I was picking up some more Cowboy Lump.  Its digital one that you just sick in.  With such a big piece of Pork probably better to check in more than one spot.

18. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Uh-Huh,and[​IMG]....the finish plate shot[​IMG]. Remember the motto;

[​IMG]

JK, but what did the inside look like........

19. tirrin

tirrin Smoke Blower

looking good..i just did my first butt the other day and i got rushed by a bunch of hungry ppl..i wasnt winning the waiting battle..[​IMG]... so i had to pull it at 180 and wasnt able to let it rest...so my lesson is learned..

20. It looks good. May be too soon for the cut view, but don't let

us down. Gotta' see that baby all pulled and plated, thanks...James