1st Leg o Lamb. OMG!!!!

Discussion in 'Lamb' started by johnswa, Apr 18, 2011.

1. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

I love lamb.  I'm pretty much the only person in my immediate family that loves lamb, but I couldn't pass up the price of a nice leg of lamb at my local sprouts store.  I wish I had taken before and after pics, but the after says it all.  My rub was a simple garlic powder/onion powder/dash of cayun powder/dash of black pepper/kosher salt  rubbed on after a bath in evoo.  It was just absolutely amazing!  I smoked it in my MES to 148 deg at 230 and I was worried that I had over smoked it, but it was absolutely awesome!  I used my Amazn with cherry dust and I have to say that cherry is the only wood I will smoke lamb with ever again!  Amazingly delicious and my wife whom doesn't really like lamb said it was really tasty if you can believe it!

Here's a couple of pics of our amazing dinner tonight!  Again, I'm sorry for not having a before and after shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for not posting the smathering of mint jelly on the beautiful lamb for the coup de gras!  Hope you enjoy!

meateater likes this.
  2. fife

fife Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

3. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

Thanks, Fife!  I thought that I over cooked it, but I wrapped in two layers of HD foil and wrapped it in towels and set it in a cooler until my wife grilled some chicken for the "antilamb" folks.  It turned out amazingly medium rare and fork tender!  Not my last leg o lamb for sure!

4. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

Forgot about the thyme and the obvious rosemary.  Two unmistakable additions to the rub.

5. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Looks good! I have always wanted to try lamb....someday.

6. biaviian

biaviian Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I've been looking for a leg of lamb and can only find boneless. If I'm doing boneless I'm doing it in the oven. This has given me more motivation to drive to the neighboring town (30 miles away) to see if they have a leg of lamb I can grab.

7. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks good I have never tried Lamb. Up to what weight animal do they consider lamb? When I think of Lamb I think of a small animal and some of those legs look pretty big.

8. biaviian

No size just under 12 months. There is also something with their permanent teeth. I forget that portion of it. Well, that was the definition when I was in Australia. I assume they are the same everywhere but I could be wrong.

I just looked it up and there is no regulation in size, teeth, or age in the US. It just has to be of ovine heritage.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  9. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

That looks great! thanks for sharing.   Cheers! 

10. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

That looks great, I love me some lamb. 

11. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

This was a boneless less than 4 lb Leg o lamb.  Don't limit yourself to the oven.  This was absolutely spectacular!!!

12. biaviian

Did you remove the netting or kept it all netted while smoking? Not sure why but I've always passed-up smoking a boneless. I may have to give it a show this week.

13. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

beautiful! I have always smoked mine with apple, but now Im going to try cherry. going to do one on Saturday

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your lamb looks delicious! Eat lamb chops all the time, never tried a leg of lamb, but after seeing yours I'm going to put that on the todo list. Thanks for sharing.

15. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

No netting.  Just smoked whole on the rack.

16. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

With only two in the household, we bone out legs and smoke smaller chunks all the time.  Turns out great if handled carefully. Also makes great kabobs!

Good luck and good smoking!

17. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great. Smoked Lamb is  amazing.

18. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks awesome!!

Craig

19. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Not much of a lamb man but it does look Great...

20. johnswa

johnswa Fire Starter

Sprouts had another nice fresh leg o lamb that I couldn't pass up.  After my experiment with prime rib roast, it's back to my lovely lamb in beautiful cherry smoke!