1st Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great !! And the seal of approval says it all

I LIKE it

Gary

I've had had dried venison before and it was very good. Any lean cut would work good, sirloin tip roast looks like it would be good but its usually much higher priced. I picked this eye of round at Walmart I think it was $3.99lb I don't hunt much any more but would love to see how elk or moose would work.

Elk is Awesome, made into "Dried Beef"!!

Bear

"Mom made SOS which even my WWII Veteran father enjoyed."

Please note that SOS is totally different than what you make with dried beef. SOS was a military version made with ground beef, typically onions, and a bunch of other "S" and it pretty much tasted like "S". It was a cheap way to feed a lot of folks and decent dried beef was way too expensive for the military to spend on the GI's so they could eat even remotely well. What you make with dried beef is known as creamed chipped beef and gravy....not SOS. I've never been in the military but made the same dried beef not long ago based on posts by Bear and Holly2105, somebody made the mistake of mis-referencing the two, and I learned a lesson in military...and culinary history.

Sharing the lesson,
Robert

Reactions: chopsaw
"Mom made SOS which even my WWII Veteran father enjoyed."

Please note that SOS is totally different than what you make with dried beef. SOS was a military version made with ground beef, typically onions, and a bunch of other "S" and it pretty much tasted like "S". It was a cheap way to feed a lot of folks and decent dried beef was way too expensive for the military to spend on the GI's so they could eat even remotely well. What you make with dried beef is known as creamed chipped beef and gravy....not SOS. I've never been in the military but made the same dried beef not long ago based on posts by Bear and Holly2105, somebody made the mistake of mis-referencing the two, and I learned a lesson in military...and culinary history.

Sharing the lesson,
Robert

Exactly!!
Way too expensive to use Dried Beef in Army SOS.
My 3 years in Army found ground beef in ALL of my SOS.---NOT GOOD !!!
Thanks Robert.

Bear

More than welcome Bear. You are the one who set the record straight for me so the least I could do I carry on your legacy sir. The pupil had learned from the master :-)

Bowing humbly,
Robert

More than welcome Bear. You are the one who set the record straight for me so the least I could do I carry on your legacy sir. The pupil had learned from the master :-)

Bowing humbly,
Robert

I appreciate that.
I pretty much give up on it now and then, because so many think Military SOS is made with Dried Beef.
I think maybe some is, like in the Air Force, and maybe even the Spoiled Navy who delivered the food to our Base Camps in Vietnam.
But I know my 3 years in Army had no Dried Beef, nor did my Brother's 17 months in the Army, and my Dad had the same in WW2.

Bear

Sharing the lesson,
Robert
I appreciate that.
I pretty much give up on it now and then, because so many think Military SOS is made with Dried Beef.
I think maybe some is, like in the Air Force, and maybe even the Spoiled Navy who delivered the food to our Base Camps in Vietnam.
But I know my 3 years in Army had no Dried Beef, nor did my Brother's 17 months in the Army, and my Dad had the same in WW2.

Bear
Humble apologies for ... stirring the pot.
Yep, my father informed me they didn't get dried beef in the Army. He still referred to creamed chipped beef as SoS though, I guess it was nostalgic.
He often commented they weren't exactly sure what was in the pot.

Now "Spoiled Navy" ... My brother was Navy with 3 tours of Vietnam. He might admit to getting it easy.

I appreciate that.

Bear
Thanks you and to the other members of your family for your service.

Humble apologies for ... stirring the pot.
Yep, my father informed me they didn't get dried beef in the Army. He still referred to creamed chipped beef as SoS though, I guess it was nostalgic.
He often commented they weren't exactly sure what was in the pot.

Now "Spoiled Navy" ... My brother was Navy with 3 tours of Vietnam. He might admit to getting it easy.

Thank You!
I don't know how easy they had it, but I do know the Air Force & the Navy ate a lot better than we did, for a number of reasons. However, they all did a Great Job.

Bear

Last edited:
Was not a military member and always thought sos was with dried beef but my neighbor told me different and that's what he said it was with hamburger. My ex made some one time and it was horrible.

Warren

Was not a military member and always thought sos was with dried beef but my neighbor told me different and that's what he said it was with hamburger. My ex made some one time and it was horrible.

Warren

Yup---When they use Hamburger (Ground Beef) to make it, the name SOS fits perfectly!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky