1st Competition under our belt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My buddy and I entered our first competition this weekend. It was a BLAST! Made lots of new friends and enjoyed some great BBQ!!!

There was 9 or 10 teams. We placed 5th overall and took 3rd in Brisket! We were only a couple of points behind 2nd place. Scoring was way different than I have seen in the past.

Appearance was scored from 2 to 40

Tenderness was scored from 2 to 40

Taste was scored from 4 to 80

There were 5 judges. We scored 622 on our brisket, 608 on pork and 568 on chicken. We were pleased with the results since it was our first competition. We had only done chicken one other time, but thought it came out pretty good.

We were unable to get pictures because of the weather. It rained the entire time we were there. I think that we got in the neighborhood of about 2.5" of rain during the competition. What was grass when we started quickly became a mud pit. We had a 10'x10' Ez-Up for shelter. Had lots of trouble getting the smoker up to temp. We changed from hickory to using oak and didn't realize how hard it would be to get it burning good. Took about 2.5 hours to get the smoker up to 225, but once we got it there, it was pretty easy to maintain the temperatures. We used cherry wood for flavor.

We had to crutch the brisket, as it was only at 155 IT at 9am and turn-in for brisket was at 1230. Foiled it up and put it back on and checked the temp an hour later and it was at 205! We were shooting for 190. So, it was a little overcooked and didn't have much "tug" left, but was still moist and had good flavor.

We also had to crutch the boston butts. Those turned out great, but our competition must have been quite a bit better.

The chicken thighs we did were really good, but we tried using our brand new AMNPS and were unable to get any smoke off of it. We should have just chopped a cherry log into chunks and used it, but we were in such a rush, we chose not to. The skin was bite-through and it was very juicy. The flavor was great, just had no smoke flavor to it. Live and learn, I guess.

We learned a ton while there and everyone was very helpful. We had never done a turn-in box, so we had to be shown how to do our parsley and such. I was able to get a picture of our chicken box and brisket box, but due to time constraints, we were unable to get a picture of our pork box.

I would like to thank everyone on the board for all of your help with everything from tips and techniques to recipes.

I will post the pictures here in a minute from my iMac, since I can't post from my PC for some reason.

Here are the pics...

Jeff preparing the chicken box.

Another...

Chicken box ready for turn-in. I wanted a little more time with it, but we were in a time-crunch!

Brisket box. 3rd place!

One of our competitors turning in...

Jeff with our plaque...

Close-up of the plaque...

Me with the plaque...

Sorry there weren't more pictures, but it was a sloppy mess out and we didn't want to run the risk of ruining our camera.

Congrats on your first BBQ competition.  I finished my first one up few months back, and it's definitely a great feeling to have your name called for something you love doing!

Congrats on a great first competition - looks like you did yourselves proud

Congrats. That is awesome you got a call. You had already won by just competing. Most will just think about it, but never get the courage up to actually do it. I am waiting for my turn........one day.....

Great finish....   Congrats to the team......   
2thumbs.gif
 .....Dave

Congratulations on completing your first, of many I'll bet, competitions!!!  As wea said, you were winners just for entering.  3rd place is nothing to sneeze at, just look at the experience you have gained.  Onward and upward!  Steve 

Way to go Cybergoon, how awesome! Sounds like you had a blast and you peformed really well. Did you remove the skin from the thighs, rub them down, then put it back on? Bite through skin on smoked thighs is truly amazing. It's so difficult.

Way to go Cybergoon, how awesome! Sounds like you had a blast and you peformed really well. Did you remove the skin from the thighs, rub them down, then put it back on? Bite through skin on smoked thighs is truly amazing. It's so difficult.
I only rubbed the outside of the thighs, smoked them, then put some of my favorite sauce on for the last 15-20 minutes. Skin was bite-through, but one judge remarked that the skin was fatty.

A Call in any competition is great!...BUT...A Call in your FIRST COMP' is freakin' AWESOME!!!! Great job guys...JJ

I only rubbed the outside of the thighs, smoked them, then put some of my favorite sauce on for the last 15-20 minutes. Skin was bite-through, but one judge remarked that the skin was fatty.
 Someone on the site recently suggested removing the skin, then scraping off the fat, then putting the skin back on and smoking the thighs. Anyhow, nice job, how exciting to perform so well.

Bryce

Last edited:
Congrats!  Yeah, we do half chickens here and when I prep them, I loosen the skin up, pull it back as far as possible without tearing and scrape as much fat off as possible.  Helps with the bite through and crispiness.  Chicken prep sucks worse than any other item in BBQ comps.  Just so messy!  Congrats again.

Cool... Some day I want to try to do a comp......your an inspiration........

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky