1st Comp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poobah18

Original poster
May 31, 2017
New Hampshire
A couple weekends ago my buddy and I (SuWheeQ) entered our 1st competition. The Granite state BBQ competition. First off I wanna thank any of the teams that might be on this site for being so friendly and helping out some new comers. Its a wonderful community and we will pass on the help as we continue. We use all of our own rubs and sauce so we were most curious how our flavor profiles would come out. Learned alot. Had a blast. Made some silly 1st time mistakes that I know we will fix but we got all the meats in. That alone I call a win.

Chicken-This was our worst entry. Gonna need to tweak it some. feedback said it was way to peppery. Personally we like it but this was the one that we have to change things to meet the judges taste the most. finished 40/41 teams.

Ribs-Going in we were most confident about these. We have been doing them for so long and haven't changed things in a while. Everyone likes our ribs. As luck would have it we/I overcooked them quite a bit. Was painful. It was tough to pick 6 to turn in but we did. I was guessing this would be last place ribs but got a surprise when they finished 37/41. Got good marks on flavor so at least we learned that.

Pork-Our 2 Butts finished must faster than they ever have before and we don't know why. We ended up having to hold them for a long time. Flavor was dead on but we couldn't get a good slice of the money muscle. Had to turn in the MM as chunks and a big pile of pulled. Finished 28/41.

Brisket-Both my buddy and I were convinced this would be our worst going in. Brisket is so competitive and we can't afford to practice as much as we would like. This cook went exactly as planned. Stalled earlier than expected but finished on time. We actually had about ten to fifteen extra minutes. We all walked up to turn in the final box just hoping not to finish last in all 4. Wouldn't you know we got a walk. finished 5/41 in brisket. Took a few seconds to realize it was us they called.

Here are the Boxes. Had a great weekend. Gonna try to get one more comp in this year and hopefully more next year. Sorry some of the pics are wrong angle. We really just wanted to snap and pic and didn't think of spinning the box. lol
IMG_20180610_210957459.jpg
IMG_20180610_115203832.jpg
IMG_20180610_122242249.jpg
106386.jpeg
106331.jpeg

Well fellas, as far as I'm concerned you did real well. Your boxes look first class to me & to come home with 5th in brisket in your first comp is very impressive!
I'm sure it won't take long to fill your house up with trophy's at the rate your going!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

That all looks great! I cooked in my first comp this year and one thing I learned is, what you think is good versus what judges look for can vary by tremendously large degrees.

I don't know how the scoring goes.To me it all looks fantastic. Good luck on your next one. Like Like Like.

Nice job those turn-ins look great. What part of NH was the comp in?

Point for sure.

Chris

Congrats on a strong finish in the competition! I would eat the heck out of any of those boxes!

A while back I did some jewelry repairs for a Lady that turned out to be a KCBS judge and we have since became good friends. Surprisingly, to me at least, her personal tastes in BBQ mirror my own and not the competition Q.

Congrats, Looks great to me, Wish we had those type of competitions here, Would love to try and learn more myself, Good for you guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky