1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good luck and take pics.

Ours is June 3-4, not a kcbs. It put on by Mead county tourism.

Reactions: 912smoker
The best advice I can give is... HAVE FUN and don't stress ... You know how to do it so just cook like you normally do and have fun doing it ...

Our county fair comp is the same as far as the turn in box goes... nothing but meat (and sauce) in the box... I won last years brisket comp using Jeff's rub... Although we did make up an injection concoction that included the blood from the vacuumed pack the meat was in ... The left over was used under the brisket for a drip pan... then I used it to put the slices in after slicing... this helps keeping the slices moist ...

Good Luck from another Keith ...

Good luck Keith, and have fun! The drinking department of your team will be cheering you on! 🍻 :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thanks Ryan 😊.
The rules at the fairgrounds state no alcohol allowed.......but the promoters added that they will NOT be checking coolers , trucks or RVs 🤣
And using your Voodoo sauce as the rib glaze !!

Keith

Sounds like you have a handle on most of it except the brisket. I have only done a couple of comps and it has been about 10 years since the last one but this might help.

Keep some of the juice from the brisket warm and neatly brush some of it on the brisket along with a small sprinkle of whatever rub you are using as well just before you close up the box. Another team that had won a lot of awards gave our team that advice. Unfortunately it wasn't until after our last comp so I didn't get to try it out for results.

Thanks Ryan 😊.
The rules at the fairgrounds state no alcohol allowed.......but the promoters added that they will NOT be checking coolers , trucks or RVs 🤣
And using your Voodoo sauce as the rib glaze !!

Keith
Maybe they got smart, but our fairgrounds state... no alcohol on the grounds...we filter it first! But can't give you any other advice except have fun and enjoy your time with the fellas! Hope the voodoo sauce brings ya good luck!

Ryan

What's voodoo sauce?
One of the sauces I sent Keith

20220519_185951.jpg

That's why Yeti made the tumbler ... Just saying ...
And if you drink something other than beer...a thermos works well as a flask also!

Ryan

One of the sauces I sent Keith

View attachment 632265

And if you drink something other than beer...a thermos works well as a flask also!

Ryan
Man that looks tasty. I love heat. I will caution 912smoker 912smoker Keith in a comp setting go easy on heat. Mild is ok but not every judge will like hot. Placed 4th in a rib comp a few years back using my peach/jalapeno recipe. We thought it was a sure winner but too spicy for some

Man that looks tasty. I love heat. I will caution 912smoker 912smoker Keith in a comp setting go easy on heat. Mild is ok but not every judge will like hot. Placed 4th in a rib comp a few years back using my peach/jalapeno recipe. We thought it was a sure winner but too spicy for some
I'm sure it's mild to your tastes...to me it has a mild zing, only my wife thinks it hot lol.

Ryan

Best of luck to you Keith, but most of all have fun with it and enjoy the family time. As for advice. I will only say that if they're looking for pulled pork, and you hand in sliced money muscle instead. That may work against you. Ok, two things. On the ribs I would consider giving them a single bone/double meat. I know there's a name for it I just can't think of it. You may loose half your ribs but the judges will like the extra meat and presentation.

Finger crossed for ya
Chris

Keith my friend, you’ve plenty of advice from this good group of folks as per usual! I’d personally have fun and enjoy the experience! Good luck buddy, be rooting for ya… You could just make a fashion statement!

76CE57D2-A35E-4C33-872D-21AEE943D55B.gif

😂

Ha, maybe a possibility?!? 🤣

In all seriousness, have a great time and go get em!

Thanks guys been busy loading , packing and checking off the list !
Turning in and early tomorrow
Thanks for the tips and cheers and I will keep you posted as much as possible.
Everyone's work schedule has turned crazy for tomorrow so just me and the oldest setting up camp and trimming.

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky