1st Chuckie (Thanks Bearcarver!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
After reading Bearcarvers great post on Chuckies the other day I got motivated to venture out of the pork arena again and give it a shot! lol  It turned out so good the wife now wants me to do a brisket this coming weekend!  I'll have to study up all week on here! lol

Followed Bearcarvers instructions after picking up this 3lb 11oz (previously thought it 3.6) Chuckie Saturday evening.  Covered it in the new Thick Worcheshire sauce and my only mistake was I picked up a store bought rub (McCormick sweet & smoky) I ended up not liking much.  I was lazy and didn't feel like making up a batch of rub so that's just the cost for a shortcut!  Double wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight.  

Sunday

900 a.m. on the smoker at 240*  Cool, windy day, temps bounced up and down all day

100 p.m. probed Internal Temp 154*

305 p.m. IT reached 165* foiled in tin pan along with 2oz Worcheshire and 4ozs Apple Juice

437 p.m. IT reached 205*

f7ee553a_IMG_2803.jpg

Pulled at the 6 hour mark IT 165*.  Didn't spritz and this thing is nice and moist!

6f333d1a_IMG_2804.jpg

Pulled at just over 7 1/2 hours with an IT 205*

000dc525_IMG_2805.jpg

Probably could have let it rest longer (only went 1/2 hour) and the upper section in the above picture was a little tough to pull, but overall, aside from the rub, it was a nice moist and delicious change from pork!  (No one else minded the rub and there were no leftovers!) 

bd1bce5e_IMG_2806.jpg

Thanks again Bearcarver for the inspiration to give this a try and especially thanks for the great post!  Brisket studying to commence now! lol

Last edited:
Good lookin chuckie there Dean. I also picked up some of that sweet and smokey rub, tried it on some chicken thigh's and was not impressed. I did a 5 pound chuckie yesterday and just rubbed it with garlic salt and CBP, came out incredible.

Any time there are no leftovers then all is good
     Always a good sign for sure!  
Good lookin chuckie there Dean. I also picked up some of that sweet and smokey rub, tried it on some chicken thigh's and was not impressed. I did a 5 pound chuckie yesterday and just rubbed it with garlic salt and CBP, came out incredible.

Thank you!  There was just something about that taste of the rub that just rubbed my taste buds the wrong way.  Not sure if it was the cinnamon or what, but it's in the trash can! 

Looks good Dean, did you cook it on the uds? im gonna pick up one or two tomorrow probably grind one for some fresh burgers and smoke the other one. did you save the drippings?

Looks good Dean, did you cook it on the uds? im gonna pick up one or two tomorrow probably grind one for some fresh burgers and smoke the other one. did you save the dripping
     I wanted to use the UDS because I do love the added flavor it adds, but I haven't adjusted in yet so I can raise the cooking rack up a couple inches.  When I raised the coal grate it brought the cooking rack to about 24" from the coal grate and the butts I done in it were sticking to the rack.  I didn't even think to use a drip pan for the drippings, I just had the juices from what I added to the pan when I foiled at 165*.  Wish I had though because the water pan in the bottom of the smoker was nicely colored from the drippings.  

Love those chuckies.  Great job, glad your wife is pushing you to cook more.  Thats nice.
     RW thank you!  In the beginning she complained about my love affair with the smoker because I'd smoke the entire weekend, every weekend, but she's adjusting and coming around! lol  

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Very nice chuckie you have there Dean.

Good job Dean! I can't wait to see how your brisket turns out. I haven't had much luck with them. Great pictures too! Thanks for sharing!

Mark, Squirrel and Duffman - thank you!  I still just can't get the flavor of that rub I used out of my head! LOL  I haven't done a packer yet, but if things go well I'll be given it a try this weekend.  I've never had burnt ends and can't wait to try those!  

too many lurkers man 114 views and only 13 replies is unacceptable people!! get your hands off that and put them on the keyboard!! ok had to vent

Hey Dean that looks good from here and it sounds like it was a hit there too

Nice pulled chuckie, Dean! I couldn't make out for sure which cut that was...looked like the cross-rib...seems there's one spot that doesn't want to come apart real easy.

A couple hours of towel-wrapped resting will help a bit more with that, just like a pork butt.

Anyway, I had to look, 'cause we've got four under-blade chucks in the freezer...two for the wife to cook, and two for me 
icon_cool.gif

Keep your smoker warm & happy!

Eric

Meateater - I definitely liked the thick wooshy sauce!  

Scarbelly - Thanks, it was scarfed down pretty quickly....lol  I was eyeballing a couple more in store this evening after work while hunting a packer.  They're inexpensive and tasty.

Eric - I'm not positive on the cut, but after looking at the store this evening I think you're right, it was probably the cross-rib...they had two section of them I noticed tonight and one section was labeled under-blade I believe.  This one was labeled chuck pot assorted boneless.  The next one I'm going to allow for more resting time because you called it, the one section was tough to pull.

The wife usually crockpots these and she was like, "you're going to smoke that?" lol  She wanted to make carrots and tatters to go with it. 

Chefrob - Thank you!  I'm definitely going pick up more of these.  I want to find a spicier rub to try on the next one.

Gary - how long have you had yours smoking?  I can't wait to try one on the UDS, just adds so much more of the flavor I like compared to my gasser.  Looking forward to hear how great yours turns out!  

c6fd2146_IMG_label.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky