1st Brisket on 22in. Weber Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

UpInSmoke88

Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Hello, I am attempting to smoke a flat brisket from my local butcher this weekend. I grew up in TX so I know how brisket is supposed to taste, but I have never attempted this before. I have a 22in Weber Kettle and these are the "tips" I have picked up and will be implementing:

Trim fat 1/4 inch
Coarse Kosher Salt & Pepper - nothing else
Bring brisket to room temp
Minion Method using Wild Cherry, Post Oak, charcoal briquettes
Water Pan
Grill Temp: 225-250
Bottom dampers open 1/4 inch, top wide open to start
Fat side up on grill, on indirect side, top vents pointed as far away from heat as possible
White smoke is not good, go for clean, radiant heat waves.
Apple Juice spray to prevent drying
Foil wrap or butcher wrap at 160 degrees. I plan on having both on hand, if I feel the brisket is drying out too much, I will use foil. If not, I will use butcher paper.
Acknowledge the stall, let it happen, do not take off grill
Take off at 190 degrees - I realize this is early to some, but I thought since I am not doing the whole packer, it might be the best way to go
Place in cooler with towels for 1-2 hours

Am I missing something totally obvious or doing something obviously wrong if I follow these guidelines?

Your plan looks good to me and is pretty close to ho I do mine. I do not have your grill so this maybe the differences. I have never used a water pan, or any kind of a spray. I wrap at 160° and pull of at 190° to 195°. put in a cooler covered in towels and let sit, generally overnight (I start in the AM and pull when done, usually late that night).

You should have a good Brisket when done.

Good luck
Link

Sounds like a pretty darn good plan!!
However I would reserve the pulling temp until you get to 190°---Then poke around with a toothpick.
It should go in like Butter when it's time to pull it.

BTW: Welcome Jessica!!

Bear

Reactions: UpInSmoke88
Thanks Link! I have been researching my butt off and I have seen that most people use the water pan with Webers. I have been on the fence about the apple juice - opening the lid to spray seems like a bad idea when trying to regulate temp. I may only do it when I have to take lid off for a legitimate reason - checking temp, adding more wood, etc.

Bring brisket to room temp

I remember seeing a chart once that estimated it would take 12-24 hours for a large brisket to get to room temperature once removed from the fridge. You don't want to do that. If you want to leave it out for an hour so the surface warms a bit, that's fine but not necessary.

And ditto Bear's comment about toothpick test. Internal temperature does not dictate when brisket is done.

Yes, go directly from refrigerator to smoker, the cooking will warm it up quickly enough as it is. I've never let the meat sit at room temp for anything I've ever done.

I only intended to let it sit out for about an hour, to take it to complete room temp would take forever, like bregent said. I did see that some people do not do this at all, like you pops. I have always done this with steaks though.

I don't think you'll be able to maintain 225 to 250* on a kettle using the minion method. I think you'd be better off using the snake or fuse method(same thing different names). I'd start with two coals side by side and one on top between them. Repeat almost all the way around the kettle's charcoal grate. Leave couple of inches between the where the snake starts and where it ends. Only use a couple of lit coals to start the process. Adjust your bottom vents to reach and maintain you temps. Water in the pan is a personal choice, I don't bother. Keep a very close eye on your temps especially with a flat. As said above once your in the 190* range start probing with a tooth pick or something similar to find the desired tenderness. When I foil I usually use a disposable aluminum pan. It's easier, quicker and you don't loose any of the juices. Spread whatever wood chunks you want on top the unlit coals. If what I'm saying isn't clear just google the snake method. There are allot of U-tube videos out there explaining it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Hey Chris, I initially decided to use the snake method, then I did some reading about the minion. I think I will go back and do some more research before deciding. Thanks for the input and the tip about the aluminum pan. I try to stay away from cooking with aluminum at all as a personal preference, but sometimes it's the only thing that will do the trick.

The minion is great for the WSM, however it may put out to much heat for a kettle. Especially since your brisket will be so close to the source of that heat.

Chris

Sounds like you have plenty of good advice already!
If you get the chance take some photo's & post them so we can see your process & your masterpiece!
Al

20180623_120014.jpg

I don't feel like I have accomplished a bark but I wanted to wrap at 160...?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky