18.5" charcoal ring in 22.5" weber smokey mountain?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have an 18.5 and don't see the benefit of using the smaller ring in the 22.5.  You could put less charcoal in the large ring if a shorter smoke is required.  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Welcome to the forum btw!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Thanks for the welcome (been here for a couple of years)

I have often wondered if there was any benefit lol. Guess I will wait to see what others say or maybe I will try it for my self one day.

I only have an 18.5 but not sure the reasoning behind it either,when I close the vents it shuts down pretty well and charcoal isn't all that expensive especially when bought on sale. I'm still looking for a 22.5 but haven't had any luck yet.

One thing is the tighter ring makes a better fire if you're not fully loading the bigger one.

With that said though if you need a smaller fire, you might as well use the the 18" and not the 22".

I dislike the whole fire ring concept in the WSM's. The charcoal baskets we make for the mini-WSM are more efficient and easier to clean. I still plan to make new baskets for my 14.5", and 18" I just haven't got there yet...

Reactions: rdwhahb
Thanks Mike! Thanks for the welcome (been here for a couple of years)

I have often wondered if there was any benefit lol. Guess I will wait to see what others say or maybe I will try it for my self one day.
icon_redface.gif
  Sorry about that!

Mike

dirtsailor2003,
I had the same thoughts, small cook on the smaller wsm. I guess I was curious. What are these baskets you make? Do you make them to sell or more for your self? Again just curious.

mike5051,
No worries lol.

dirtsailor2003,
I had the same thoughts, small cook on the smaller wsm. I guess I was curious. What are these baskets you make? Do you make them to sell or more for your self? Again just curious.

I make them for my smokers. We use expanded metal, and you can either wire them together or weld them.

If you look in this thread at the Mini-WSM section you can see both the wired together and welded.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/191066/dirtsailors-mega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky