17# of Canadian bacon and smoked boneless chops.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2012
Pinnacle, NC
While cruising the meat case at the local BJ's Wholesale I spotted some boneless loins for a buck a pound as they were 5-6 days short of the sell by date. 

At any rate, two big ones (22# total) got trimmed of fat and silverskin and wound up at 17#.  They got needle pumped with a brown sugar cure and brined for 6 days.  I had trouble getting them pumped more than 5-6% (was aiming for 10%) so brined them for 6 days instead of the usual 4-5 days.  The post rinsing taste samples were too salty so I had to soak them for 3-4 hours.  After a day to equalize the fried samples were fine so off to the smoker they went.  Lesson learned: stick to 5 days max for the brine.....

The family asked for fairly heavy smoke so they got about 6 hours of hickory smoke.  About a third of them got sliced for Canadian bacon and the rest into 1" boneless chops.  That's a 7" boning knife in the bowl.

Lance

Looks good but 6 days seems a bit short.

Any more info on the cure?

5 days is the norm for loins using this 50 degree salinometer brine using Cure #1:

per gallon of water-

1.3 pounds salt

136 g Cure #1

226 g (1/2 #) sugar (I used light brown)

As stated the intent was to cure for 5 days after a 10% needle pump but the cure was running out of the needle holes and the loins had about 5-6% pickup.  Due to the size of the loins and the lower than targeted pickup I chose to brine for 6 days and it was way too salty.

Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky