16lb Whole Turkey and 12lb pre cooked Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatorsbucs1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Tomorrow I plan on smoking my 16 lb Whole Turkey and 12 lb precooked Ham and I normally use Hickory chunks, but tomorrow I thought about doing half hickory and half apple wood. I own a dyna glo smoker. I guess my question would be how long for each item or ideal temp? and has anyone ever used different wood chunks at the same time? I appreciate any suggestions and Merry Christmas! 

Mixing wood is VERY common.  I do it all the time.  It's all wood so it works.  When I first started smoking I couldn't tell much difference in the taste.  With experience your taste buds can start telling the difference, even in wood mixes. 

When I have more than one type of meat in the smoker, I always smoke at the temp of the meat requiring the higher temp.  In your case that will be the poultry.  Personally, I smoke poultry at 325-350F chamber temp.  It gives a crisp skin and moist meat.  You can put them in at the same time.  The ham need to go to 140-145F Internal temp.  The turkey, 165F Internal temp.  If you put them in at the same time the ham will finish about an hour before the turkey, or you could put it in a hour later. 

Hickory and cherry are a great combination for the turkey and ham too.    

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Thank you and Merry Christmas, I will definitely let you guys know! This site is Awesome 

Hope everyone's Holiday/Christmas went well, My turkey and Ham turned out perfect! Thank you again for all the help and suggestions. Also if you like omelettes, leftovers are great in a omelette!  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky